WWE drops Hulk Hogan after racist 2007 rant surfaces

Started by Syt, July 25, 2015, 02:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 27, 2015, 12:11:51 AM
Quote from: dps on July 26, 2015, 11:08:20 PM
I didn't have them specifically in mind, but let's put it this way--if you're a minority, and you spent any significant amount of time wrestling in the WWE, then at some point you were given a stereotypical gimmick or storyline.

Just out of curiosity (I'm really not that well-versed in wrestling stuff), does that hold true for hispanics?  The closest I'm aware of to a "stereotypical gimmick" for one is Rey Mysterio, and that probably doesn't count since he actually was a luchadore before ever joining the WWE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Qo8r6tRpA

And of course Razor Ramon (though Scott Hall is not ethnically Hispanic).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2015, 07:42:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 25, 2015, 06:49:46 AM
*shrug* don't be a public figure then.

Yep. After all if WWE thinks this is bad for their image then they've an imperative to cut ties.

Hulk Hogan is a bona fide public figure, admittedly, but isn't the tendency these days to make anybody a de facto public figure? I mean, we start to get to the point exemplified by gawker recently posting a story about some nobody executive of some company cheating on his wife. We quickly get to the point when there is no privacy expected or respected at all - and if we adopt the attitude like yours we will get there much faster.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on July 27, 2015, 01:41:52 AM

Yep. After all if WWE thinks this is bad for their image then they've an imperative to cut ties.

Hulk Hogan is a bona fide public figure, admittedly, but isn't the tendency these days to make anybody a de facto public figure? I mean, we start to get to the point exemplified by gawker recently posting a story about some nobody executive of some company cheating on his wife. We quickly get to the point when there is no privacy expected or respected at all - and if we adopt the attitude like yours we will get there much faster.

With Ashley Madison recently being hacked, that kind of exposure might explode geometrically pretty soon.  :P

Martinus

These were just idiotic social justice warriors - the fact that big companies and media outlets cave in to their pressure is what is alarming. Given that people do not have decency to respect other people's privacy anymore, the law should step in to protect it with criminal sanction, I'm afraid.

Richard Hakluyt

It is not as if Mr Hogan is a Bishop or High Court judge.

garbon

I'm confused, what exactly are you saying should be criminalized?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Didn't they pull that story almost immediately because they realized the law wouldn't protect them if he sued, since even under the most charitable of definitions he was not a public figure?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 27, 2015, 02:12:48 AM
It is not as if Mr Hogan is a Bishop or High Court judge.

He was for years, though, the icon of the American DreamTM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKM1AAzeRCg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2015, 02:12:58 AM
I'm confused, what exactly are you saying should be criminalized?

Publishing private information about people, unless the publishing party can prove public interest. This is how it is done in Europe, by the way.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 27, 2015, 02:13:05 AM

Didn't they pull that story almost immediately because they realized the law wouldn't protect them if he sued, since even under the most charitable of definitions he was not a public figure?

Yeah but I am saying the threshold should be higher (i.e. the way it is in the UK, France or Poland) - if you public potentially defaming information about another person (even if the information is true), you need to show public interest. The threshold for a public figure is lower than for a private person, but even a public figure is not a free game, so to speak.

alfred russel

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 26, 2015, 09:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 26, 2015, 01:30:30 AM
Dennis Rodman is supporting him, so it's all good.

He's also supporting Donald Trump's presidential aspirations, so I wouldn't exactly say, "In Rodman we trust." :P

But he was so good at rebounding.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2015, 12:29:39 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 27, 2015, 12:11:51 AM
Quote from: dps on July 26, 2015, 11:08:20 PM
I didn't have them specifically in mind, but let's put it this way--if you're a minority, and you spent any significant amount of time wrestling in the WWE, then at some point you were given a stereotypical gimmick or storyline.

Just out of curiosity (I'm really not that well-versed in wrestling stuff), does that hold true for hispanics?  The closest I'm aware of to a "stereotypical gimmick" for one is Rey Mysterio, and that probably doesn't count since he actually was a luchadore before ever joining the WWE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Qo8r6tRpA

And of course Razor Ramon (though Scott Hall is not ethnically Hispanic).

The Mexicools used to get to the ring riding lawnmowers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0y5ndEtqGs

Check this Grantland article for more info on racism in wrestling since the 80s:

http://grantland.com/features/excerpt-david-shoemaker-new-book-concise-history-racism-wrestling/?ex_cid=GrantlandTW%3Fex_cid%3DGrantlandFB

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Is the guy driving the lawnmower wearing Siege's sunglasses?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius