WWE drops Hulk Hogan after racist 2007 rant surfaces

Started by Syt, July 25, 2015, 02:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173493/Hulk-Hogan-scrubbed-WWE-websites-amid-reports-audio-tape-launching-racist-tirade.html

QuoteHulk Hogan fired by WWE as he admits to racist n-word tirade where he rants about his daughter sleeping with a black man

- Hogan was caught on tape ranting about sex life of daughter Brooke, 27
- In 2007 tape he said: 'if she was going to f**k some n****r, I'd rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n****r worth a hundred million dollars'
- Just before tape surfaced publicly on Friday, WWE cut all ties with Hogan
- Wrestler apologized and admitted tape was 'offensive' and 'unacceptable'

WWE has terminated its contract with Hulk Hogan after an audio tape emerged of him launching a racist tirade littered with the n-word complaining about his daughter's sex life.

The 61-year-old pro wrestler, whose real name is Terry Bollea, made the comments in a recording which recently emerged as part of a legal battle. It features him repeating the phrase 'f**king n*****s' several times.

The recording, the contents of which were reported by Radar Online, features Hogan making a string of racist jibes to Heather Clem, a friend's wife whom he was filmed having sex with in 2012.

Shortly after the contents of the tape became public, Hogan admitted that the tape, recorded in 2007, was real and said his words were 'offensive' and 'unacceptable'.

According to Radar, the audio features him complaining about his daughter Brooke, 27, who was trying to launch a music career.

He said that 'a black billionaire guy' had offered to bankroll her, then speculated about her sex life'.

Hogan told Clem: 'I don't know if Brooke was f**king the black guy's son... I mean, I don't have double standards.

'I mean, I am a racist, to a point, f**king n****rs. But then when it comes to nice people and s**t, and whatever.'

He continued: 'I mean, I'd rather if she was going to f**k some n****r, I'd rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n****r worth a hundred million dollars! Like a basketball player!

'I guess we're all a little racist. F***king n****r.'

In a statement confirming the termination, the WWE reiterated its commitment to 'celebrating individuals from all backgrounds'.

A statement said: 'WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan). WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.'

After the tape became public, Hogan released a statement apologizing.

The response, sent to People magazine, said: 'Eight years ago I used offensive language during a conversation.

'It was unacceptable for me to have used that offensive language; there is no excuse for it; and I apologize for having done it... This is not who I am'

Radar said that transcripts of the conversation were filed in a Florida court, where Hogan is suing Gawker Media for publishing part of a 2012 video which allegedly shows Hogan having sex with Clem.
DailyMail.com has contacted Hogan's representatives for comment.

They should bring him back as a heel: "Heil Hogan"

The internet is on it:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Given that in old age people do tend to lose control of themselves a little and start saying unacceptable things I wonder whether this will be the shape of things to come in the future where the amateur press are standing ready to report on every comment ever said by a famous person.
One by one childhood heroes shall fall.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

He was in his early 50s when this was filmed, hardly senility can be an excuse here. I have a bit of trouble by somebody losing his job because of something he said almost 10 years ago, in a private environment, though.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on July 25, 2015, 06:36:53 AM
He was in his early 50s when this was filmed, hardly senility can be an excuse here. I have a bit of trouble by somebody losing his job because of something he said almost 10 years ago, in a private environment, though.
Welcome to the World of Tomorrow!
PDH!

Lettow77

He's making a sex tape with someone else's wife, and the moral outrage is directed at his concerns for his daughter..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 25, 2015, 06:49:46 AM
*shrug* don't be a public figure then.

Yep. After all if WWE thinks this is bad for their image then they've an imperative to cut ties.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Anyone who's seen Hulk in his prime, know that just as he's down for the count, he will suddenly spring back up as the crowd rallies behind him.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DontSayBanana

That was the Hulkster in his prime... he's not exactly in his prime anymore.
Experience bij!

dps

Given some of the gimmicks they've promoted, a bit hypocritical on WWE's part.

Syt

Quote from: dps on July 26, 2015, 12:17:53 AM

You mean like the Nation of Domination? :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Dennis Rodman is supporting him, so it's all good.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 26, 2015, 01:30:30 AM
Dennis Rodman is supporting him, so it's all good.

He's also supporting Donald Trump's presidential aspirations, so I wouldn't exactly say, "In Rodman we trust." :P
Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2015, 12:26:20 AM
Quote from: dps on July 26, 2015, 12:17:53 AM

You mean like the Nation of Domination? :P

I didn't have them specifically in mind, but let's put it this way--if you're a minority, and you spent any significant amount of time wrestling in the WWE, then at some point you were given a stereotypical gimmick or storyline.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on July 26, 2015, 11:08:20 PM
I didn't have them specifically in mind, but let's put it this way--if you're a minority, and you spent any significant amount of time wrestling in the WWE, then at some point you were given a stereotypical gimmick or storyline.

Just out of curiosity (I'm really not that well-versed in wrestling stuff), does that hold true for hispanics?  The closest I'm aware of to a "stereotypical gimmick" for one is Rey Mysterio, and that probably doesn't count since he actually was a luchadore before ever joining the WWE...
Experience bij!