HAY GUISE! - The Ed Anger Deathwatch Thread

Started by Ed Anger, July 21, 2015, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2018, 12:54:56 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2018, 12:09:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2018, 06:13:09 AM
Well he lives in the US. I imagine, if you eat careful you are still taking in a truckload of sugar a day.

Yep.  When the Americans started sugarating the water supply, they knew this would happen.

And to this day sugar water is the top seller....

Among people who "eat careful" as Tamas is arguing?  I'd need a cite for that "fact."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I am sorry grumbler it was just meant as a joke, I have no desire to "debate" it. :(

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on January 31, 2018, 07:33:44 AM
I am sorry grumbler it was just meant as a joke, I have no desire to "debate" it. :(

Oh.  A joke.  Ha.   Ha.  What.  a.  knee.  slapper.

I have no desire to "debate" your sense of humor, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 31, 2018, 07:31:21 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2018, 12:54:56 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2018, 12:09:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2018, 06:13:09 AM
Well he lives in the US. I imagine, if you eat careful you are still taking in a truckload of sugar a day.

Yep.  When the Americans started sugarating the water supply, they knew this would happen.

And to this day sugar water is the top seller....

Among people who "eat careful" as Tamas is arguing?  I'd need a cite for that "fact."

No, obviously not the careful eaters.  But for the 50% or so who drink sugared water on a daily basis, the results are predictable.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2018, 12:13:57 PM
No, obviously not the careful eaters.  But for the 50% or so who drink sugared water on a daily basis, the results are predictable.

Okay.  Great insight, there.  Thanks. 

It's not 50%, according to the CDC, it is 30% among adults and just over 20% among high schoolers, but that's a quibble.  It's too much even if we don't exaggerate.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 31, 2018, 01:23:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2018, 12:13:57 PM

Okay.  Great insight, there.  Thanks. 

It's not 50%, according to the CDC, it is 30% among adults and just over 20% among high schoolers, but that's a quibble.  It's too much even if we don't exaggerate.

50% drink soft drinks daily.  The quibble you raised is with "sugared".  It is an accurate quibble but doesn't detract from the fact that 50% of Americans drink a soda of some description daily.
Which goes back to your sarcastic statement that when Americans added sugar to their water, they knew what they were in for.  Which, it turns out, is actually pretty accurate - or at least it is pretty obvious what would happen.

Valmy

Not every soft drink has sugar though.

Besides hard drinks have sugar by definition and lots of people drink those to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2018, 03:00:09 PM
Not every soft drink has sugar though.

Yes, that is what made Grumbler's quibble accurate

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2018, 02:41:51 PM
50% drink soft drinks daily.  The quibble you raised is with "sugared".  It is an accurate quibble but doesn't detract from the fact that 50% of Americans drink a soda of some description daily.
Which goes back to your sarcastic statement that when Americans added sugar to their water, they knew what they were in for.  Which, it turns out, is actually pretty accurate - or at least it is pretty obvious what would happen.

I have no idea what argument you are trying to make here.  The CDC uses "Sugar-sweetened beverages" or SSB to mean all drinks that have added sugar.  Tea, Coffee, Soda, etc.  You use "soft drinks," which isn't what the CDC uses.  The 50% figure is for SSB.  Where you get the 50% soda figure, I don't know and don't really care. 

Which goes back to my sarcastic comment that people who eat carefully really don't consume truckloads of sugar every day. 

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Non-sugar (diet) sodas are about 1/4 of the market.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 31, 2018, 03:57:30 PM
Non-sugar (diet) sodas are about 1/4 of the market.

right, which is why Grumbler's quibble was accurate.