News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Piketty: Germany Has Never Paid Its Debts

Started by Martinus, July 09, 2015, 06:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on July 14, 2015, 10:29:27 AM
There are plenty of countries of the size and budget of Greece that have managed to not spend themselves into bankruptcy. Hong Kong might not be a good comparison, but the point Mono is making is perfectly valid.

This is just another iteration of "too big too fail" where bad decisions that fuck everyone are made in the full knowledge that they will have terrible outcomes in the long run - but fuck it, let the people who will be in power then deal with it, we don't care.

It should be remembered that it was the crash in 2008, that actually bankrupted the country.  It may have gone bankrupt anyway, but the crash brought it down, along with quite a few other countries.  Oddly many of them small countries with small economies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/frances-hollande-eurozone-should-have-its-own-budget-parliament-20150714-00436

QuoteFrance's Hollande: Eurozone Should Have Its Own Budget, Parliament

PARIS--French President Francois Hollande said Tuesday he will make proposals for a eurozone government, after Greece came close to exiting the currency bloc in tense negotiations between European heads of state at the weekend.

In a television interview on France's Bastille Day holiday, Mr. Hollande said he will make a joint proposal with Germany to improve how the eurozone is governed.

"There must be an economic government for the eurozone," Mr. Hollande said.

The next step would be to create a budget for the eurozone and, ultimately, a parliament, he added.

Wait, what? The French have been the biggest obstacle for further integration.

Also I love how he proposes to create a government and a budget before a parliament.  :bash:

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2015, 10:45:10 AM
There are plenty of countries of the size and budget of Greece that have managed to not spend themselves into bankruptcy. Hong Kong might not be a good comparison, but the point Mono is making is perfectly valid.

This is just another iteration of "too big too fail" where bad decisions that fuck everyone are made in the full knowledge that they will have terrible outcomes in the long run - but fuck it, let the people who will be in power then deal with it, we don't care.

It should be remembered that it was the crash in 2008, that actually bankrupted the country.  It may have gone bankrupt anyway, but the crash brought it down, along with quite a few other countries.  Oddly many of them small countries with small economies.

Oddly many run by parties with neo-liberal agendas too. Like Iceland and Ireland. While it may be a spurious connection, there is that.
However, Clinton is the one to blame for all this shit.  <_<

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2015, 10:41:39 AM

I cant think of any other Euro countries that have suffered such a significant drop in GDP over such a short period of time.  Is there a good comparator?

Th Baltics experienced even worse drop of GDP all within a year, as a result of frontloading cuts. The differences are marked between both scenarios, though: smaller size, excellent timing of cuts, small financial sector, no prior debt from the Soviet era, private rather than public debt, much better (and trusted) governance ...

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on July 14, 2015, 10:56:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2015, 10:41:39 AM

I cant think of any other Euro countries that have suffered such a significant drop in GDP over such a short period of time.  Is there a good comparator?

Th Baltics experienced even worse drop of GDP all within a year, as a result of frontloading cuts. The differences are marked between both scenarios, though: smaller size, excellent timing of cuts, small financial sector, no prior debt from the Soviet era, private rather than public debt, much better (and trusted) governance ...

The key difference, of course, was that neither of them joined the Euro until after the crisis. So they could run very high inflation to get out of the domestic debt.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2015, 10:58:32 AM

The key difference, of course, was that neither of them joined the Euro until after the crisis. So they could run very high inflation to get out of the domestic debt.

Really?  The Baltic currencies were already pegged to the Euro before the 08 crisis.  I doubt if they could just print money as much as they liked under such a system. 

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on July 14, 2015, 11:01:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2015, 10:58:32 AM

Really?  The Baltic currencies were already pegged to the Euro before the 08 crisis.  I doubt if they could just print money as much as they liked under such a system.

Quote about Lithuania (whose GDP dropped the most):

QuoteIn December 2006 the government approved a new convergence plan, which pushed the expected adoption date to post-2010 due to inflation.[5] In 2007, Prime Minister Gediminas Kirkilas stated that he hoped for adoption around 2010–11.[6][7] Generally high inflation, which reached a peak of 12.7% in June 2008[8] (well above the 4.2% limit of the time),[9] delayed Lithuania's adoption of the euro. By the time of the 2010 European debt crisis, the expected switch over date had been put further back to 2014.[10] Lithuania expressed interest in a suggestion from the IMF that countries which are not able to meet the Maastricht criteria be able to "partially adopt" the euro, using the currency but not getting a seat at the European Central Bank.[11] Interviews with the Foreign Minister and Prime Minister in May and August 2012 respectively highlighted that Lithuania still aimed to join the euro, but would not set a target date until the state of the eurozone post-crisis was clear.[12][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania_and_the_euro

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2015, 10:04:45 AM
That would suck - Europe of Two Speeds.
Europe already has many speeds...?

Norgy

Oh, just let the Nazis in again and get a proper unification.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on July 14, 2015, 10:46:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/frances-hollande-eurozone-should-have-its-own-budget-parliament-20150714-00436

QuoteFrance's Hollande: Eurozone Should Have Its Own Budget, Parliament

PARIS--French President Francois Hollande said Tuesday he will make proposals for a eurozone government, after Greece came close to exiting the currency bloc in tense negotiations between European heads of state at the weekend.

In a television interview on France's Bastille Day holiday, Mr. Hollande said he will make a joint proposal with Germany to improve how the eurozone is governed.

"There must be an economic government for the eurozone," Mr. Hollande said.

The next step would be to create a budget for the eurozone and, ultimately, a parliament, he added.

Wait, what? The French have been the biggest obstacle for further integration.

Also I love how he proposes to create a government and a budget before a parliament.  :bash:

It's france trying to spend other people's money again.

Crazy_Ivan80

much better (and trusted) governance ...

and that's the crux of the matter: the greek state is shit. It's clientilism to the nth degree and the greek citizens act accordingly.
There won't be a solution until that changes.

Norgy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 14, 2015, 01:07:47 PM
much better (and trusted) governance ...

and that's the crux of the matter: the greek state is shit. It's clientilism to the nth degree and the greek citizens act accordingly.
There won't be a solution until that changes.

I'd hope for some change with Syriza, but I doubt it. You are of course entirely right. Greece, in many ways, is a state that has failed.
The lenders didn't exactly do due diligence either.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive