News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most boring country in Europe

Started by Josquius, July 07, 2015, 06:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which country* is the most boring in Europe?

Belgium
4 (9.5%)
Finland
1 (2.4%)
Iceland
5 (11.9%)
Ireland
1 (2.4%)
Luxembourg
11 (26.2%)
Slovakia
3 (7.1%)
Slovenia
2 (4.8%)
Switzerland
13 (31%)
Norway
1 (2.4%)
Other
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 07, 2015, 08:19:48 AM
Switzerland wins this by a landslide. Luxembourg is not a proper country.

What does that make Malta?

It is a small place alright, but also very interesting so Malta would not feature in this discussion regardless of size.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2015, 08:19:07 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2015, 08:15:17 AM
I was mocking that quote, you know  :P

Cuckoo clocks weren't even invented by the Swiss. They're German IIRC.

I always presumed it came from the Black Forest; at least that's the general assumption in Germany.
Yeah, I've heard Black Forest too. I think QI mentioned it once?

Surprising to see Switzerland running away with it. But happy it's not just me. The usual contenders one hears in this debate are also Belgium and Finland.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Not really a numbers game. Gather a hundred Germans and the result is still less entertaining than a couple Med types. Northerners are just dull by nature. I blame it on the lack of sunlight.

Valmy

Belgium is not boring at all, almost every Belgian I have met online is a colorful nutter. Finnish people have a funny language and like to go naked everywhere. Oh and they have reindeer. And were the only good guy among the Axis powers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 07, 2015, 08:23:05 AM

It is a small place alright, but also very interesting so Malta would not feature in this discussion regardless of size.

I was talking about its status as a proper country though :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on July 07, 2015, 08:33:45 AM

Not really a numbers game. Gather a hundred Germans and the result is still less entertaining than a couple Med types. Northerners are just dull by nature. I blame it on the lack of sunlight.
At least we don't go around touching everyone :x
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Belgium - that's where Europe goes to fight.

Finland - full of depressed lunatics with a funny language; also, kicked Soviet ass.

Iceland - volcanoes and vikings

Ireland - Drunks, the Pogues (did I mention drunks?), and the IRA

Luxembourg - ?

Slovakia - ?

Slovenia - ?

Switzerland - Mountains and evil bankers

Norway - Mountains and vikings

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Some great people have come from Malta. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Slovakia had a fascist state under a Catholic Bishop, that was cool. They collaborated with Hitler to subjugate the Czechs. They also get the weird colored counters in games that simulate the invasion of Poland. They launched a big 'resistance movement' at the last second and 'liberated' themselves right before the Soviets could do it.

They are supposedly famous for their theatre which is a pretty fucking lame thing to famous for, especially when it is all in Slovak. But maybe Marty or Tamas could let me know if my views on this topic are misplaced and in fact the plays of Slovakia are an international treasure the whole world should partake in.

I remember Slovenia because in 1915 the Italians had to cross Slovenia to take Trieste and Franz Joseph asked his generals if the Slovenes would die to protect the Monarchy. According to legend the Slavic Austrian general Boroevic declared that the Slovenes would be bled white before they would let the hated Italians cross the Isonzo. And damned if he was not right. So I guess they are distinguished by their hatred for Italians.

The Larch

Malta has an amazing and pretty eventful history for being basically a couple of rocks in the Med. Then again almost every single place around the Med has had plenty of time to develop an interesing history.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 07, 2015, 09:15:59 AM
Malta has an amazing and pretty eventful history for being basically a couple of rocks in the Med. Then again almost every single place around the Med has had plenty of time to develop an interesing history.

Being owned by a crusading knightly order in the 1700s was pretty weird you have to admit.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 09:18:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 07, 2015, 09:15:59 AM

Being owned by a crusading knightly order in the 1700s was pretty weird you have to admit.

That's part of the charm.  :lol: Although they were much more into filibustering than crusading at that point. Then Napoleon had to come around and put an end to the party, just like with Venice.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 09:14:47 AM
I remember Slovenia because in 1915 the Italians had to cross Slovenia to take Trieste and Franz Joseph asked his generals if the Slovenes would die to protect the Monarchy. According to legend the Slavic Austrian general Boroevic declared that the Slovenes would be bled white before they would let the hated Italians cross the Isonzo. And damned if he was not right. So I guess they are distinguished by their hatred for Italians.

Slovenia has the honor of being the only piece of Yugoslavia the Serbs didn't care to fight for.

Valmy