Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 12:58:32 PM
My mother called me first thing her morning to offer her congratulations. :D

I know exactly what my mother would say if I were in your shoes: "... and now that it's legal, will you be finding a nice doctor or lawyer and settling down?!"  ;)

I've already told my mother on many occasions that she can play matchmaker and find me a wealthy man to marry.  Though she's retired and has ample time, she's done nothing. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2015, 01:04:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 12:58:32 PM
My mother called me first thing her morning to offer her congratulations. :D

I know exactly what my mother would say if I were in your shoes: "... and now that it's legal, will you be finding a nice doctor or lawyer and settling down?!"  ;)

I hope your Mom wasn't disappointed that you became a lawyer instead of marrying one. :P

She was dissapointed I didn't also marry a doctor or lawyer ... or better yet, someone who inherited lots of money.  ;) In some ways, she's a bit of a Mono/Jewish mom stereotype (albeit a totally hipocritical one - she married a poor graduate student, when all her relations were marrying wealth business types!  :lol:).

The irony here is that my brother *did* marry a woman who inherited piles of money, truly wealthy - and they use none of it. They live as poor academics - they are both profs at the university of Iowa.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2015, 01:08:51 PM
Whatever happened to true love?  :(

[mom]"You can truly love a rich person! It's even easier than truly loving someone who is poor!" [/mom]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2015, 01:08:51 PM
Whatever happened to true love?  :(

[mom]"You can truly love a rich person! It's even easier than truly loving someone who is poor!" [/mom]

:yes:

@Toni - Isn't money the purest form of love?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/america-reacts-to-marriage-equality/396968/?utm_source=SFFB

Quote'Love is Love': Americans Celebrate Marriage Equality

The United States Supreme Court ruled on Friday that same-sex couples can marry everywhere. Across the country, gay couples headed to city halls and county courthouses, to gain the legal rights and recognition long denied to them. But not in Pike County, Alabama. Probate Judge Wes Allen discontinued issuing licenses in February rather than sanction gay unions, his office told The New York Times, and it has no plans to issue any more to the country's 33,000 residents, gay or straight.

Same-sex marriage already existed in most of the United States before today's decision, either by legislative act, democratic vote, or judicial ruling. Resistance in the remaining jurisdictions is sporadic, like in Pike County. But many states seem to be abandoning the fight altogether. Kentucky, North Dakota, and South Dakota began issuing licenses statewide shortly after the ruling. "I acknowledge that the Supreme Court's ruling is now the law of the land," said Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange. Some Texas counties began issuing licenses almost immediately after the decision was announced, while others said they would need to update their forms first.

Among Democrats, whose party shifted from caution to enthusiastic support for LGBT rights over the past five years, responses to the decision were jubilant. Democratic presidential candidates joined in the celebration. "Proud," said former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in a one-word tweet, with a picture attached that said "history" in rainbow letters. "For far too long our justice system has marginalized the gay community," said Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, "and I am very glad the Court has finally caught up to the American people." Former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley praised both the Court's decision and his state for "leading the way" on the issue.

Among the wide multitude of Republican presidential candidates, reactions ranged from resigned acceptance to undisguised anger. "While I disagree with this decision, we live in a republic and must abide by the law," said Florida Senator Marco Rubio in a statement. Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush also struck a conciliatory tone. "In a country as diverse as ours, good people who have opposing views should be able to live side by side," he said in a statement. At the same time, Bush noted, "it is now crucial that as a country we protect religious freedom and the right of conscience and also not discriminate."

The religious-liberty theme echoed throughout the entire range of GOP responses. Ben Carson, a former neurosurgeon who supports same-sex civil unions, urged Congress "to make sure deeply held religious views are respected and protected."

But among some Republican presidential candidates, the mood was far more hostile. "I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch," said former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee in a statement. "We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat." Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal complained that the decision "tramples on states' rights."  Calling the Supreme Court "completely out of control," Jindal added: "If we want to save some money lets just get rid of the court."

Other candidates pledged to carry on their fight against rising support for marriage equality among Americans. Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker criticized "five unelected judges" for redefining marriage and called for a constitutional amendment to override the Court's decision. Rick Perry, the former governor of Texas, vowed to appoint "strict Constitutional conservatives" to the Supreme Court if elected president.

Perhaps the strongest official statement of support came from the White House, where President Obama spoke at length shortly after the ruling came down. "This ruling is a victory for America," he said in a White House press conference. After supporting civil unions during his first election in 2008, Obama became the first sitting president to support marriage equality in May 2012. He said at the time that his views on the issue had "evolved." Today, the president was more succinct: "Love is love."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Rubio, Bush, and Carson handled it right. Nothing there that could bit them down the line.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 01:26:03 PM
Rubio, Bush, and Carson handled it right. Nothing there that could bit them down the line.

Yup, although Bush was the nicest of the three. He does seem like someone who is not completely rotten.

Martinus

Incidentally, isn't this the fastest cultural war in US history? In 2004, when Massachussets was passing gay marriage, it seemed like a very long way to go - maybe a thing for our lifetime, but not necessarily. 11 years down the line, the question is over.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 01:31:42 PM
Incidentally, isn't this the fastest cultural war in US history? In 2004, when Massachussets was passing gay marriage, it seemed like a very long way to go - maybe a thing for our lifetime, but not necessarily. 11 years down the line, the question is over.

Well DOMA came in 96 so I think you'd at least need to start it there.

Caliga

Shocking that Huckabee and Jindal sound like complete nitwits in their responses. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I dunno man - isn't this part of the overall struggle for gay rights which goes back at least to the 1970s?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Syt

And I doubt it's completely over. Some states still don't protect LGBT from discrimination; and don't forget that some states rank freedom of religion higher than gay rights, so religious business owners and others can deny service to LGBT if it would violate their "deeply held beliefs".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I think it goes a great deal further back than that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."