News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 12:16:33 PM
Isn't this the same way it works everywhere?

No.  In the US clergy are legally empowered to perform the legal act of marriage.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 12:22:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 12:16:33 PM
Isn't this the same way it works everywhere?

No.  In the US clergy are legally empowered to perform the legal act of marriage.

Then why did I have to go down to the County Office and sign paperwork? Eh oh well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 12:23:56 PM
Then why did I have to go down to the County Office and sign paperwork? Eh oh well.

Because you need the state's permission before the parson can close the deal.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 12:10:47 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 26, 2015, 11:55:34 AM
To my mind, government-sanctioned marriage is an illegal government endorsement of religious ceremony. 

To me, this view (which for some reason is touted around quite frequently) is one of the most idiotic positions one can take. There is much more to marriage than just a religious aspect and that has always been the case historically - if anything, I would say it is a perfectly socially useful legal contract that was endorsed and hijacked by religion at some point in history.

I tend to agree - nowadays, marriage has lots of aspects to it, but socially, to people who aren't your immediate kin, the most important is that it acts as a very handy way to obtain a whole bunch of legal stuff - automatic survivorship rights, pension rights, rights to various guardianship issues, and the like.

I suppose a hardcore libertarian could arrange all of that through bargaining and complicated contracts, but why should one bother? Marriage puts the whole package together without the need for that.   :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

I honestly think that 50 years from now it will be a total non-issue. Homophobia simply lacks the legs that racism still has.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

My mother called me first thing her morning to offer her congratulations. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 12:58:32 PM
:lol:

Martinus

By the way, because of proximity to the church shooting thread, I keep reading this thread title as "Gay Massacre Upheld by USSC"

Valmy

It must be like when I turned 21 in France. Here you are finally legally allowed to do something in the US you have been able to do for months overseas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 01:00:12 PM

It must be like when I turned 21 in France. Here you are finally legally allowed to do something in the US you have been able to do for months overseas.

"Finally you can drink legally!" - "Yes, finally! :shifty:  :blush: "
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 12:25:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 12:23:56 PM

Because you need the state's permission before the parson can close the deal.

Ahem.. as an ordained member of the Universal Life Church, I can say with some authority..... :sleep:

It depends on the state. In some states, you don't have to sign paperwork at the County Office. That's all done at the marriage ceremony, and then turned in to the state after the fact. How it all works - registering with the state, I mean - is definitely on a case-by-case basis. In Iowa, the minister was able to pull together all the paperwork for us. In Las Vegas, we had to get the paperwork filled out and prepped by the County Clerk before the judge could sign off on it. In Illinois, you have to go get your paperwork three days before the wedding (you have to have a delay for some reason).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

I know exactly what my mother would say if I were in your shoes: "... and now that it's legal, will you be finding a nice doctor or lawyer and settling down?!"  ;)

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 01:02:45 PM

I know exactly what my mother would say if I were in your shoes: "... and now that it's legal, will you be finding a nice doctor or lawyer and settling down?!"  ;)

I hope your Mom wasn't disappointed that you became a lawyer instead of marrying one. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 01:00:12 PM

Yeah, I had similar as I did my study abroad just 2 months after I turned 21. All the juniors were excited to legally drink and I was like, meh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.