News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gov. Mark Sanford goes crazy, disappears

Started by Caliga, June 23, 2009, 07:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2009, 11:45:39 AM
To me, wilderness doesn't have to be "untouched", but protected, in that motor vehicles are prohibited, there are significant trees, wildlife, etc.

Disagree.

Most of Yukon (indeed, most of northern Canada) is unprotected.  That being said it is completely untouched and trees and wildlife run free.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Why don't more politicians just take a hike?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

In fact, being 'protected' means it isn't a wilderness anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:29:31 AM
Kukulwash Glacier, Kluane National Park. :wub:

Not "wilderness" except in its loosest definition. :contract:

Wilderness imples the unchecked growth of vegetation (that's the "wild" part).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2009, 11:54:58 AM
Not a natural wilderness, for sure, but it can still be a wilderness.

If it is managed, then it isn't a wilderness.  I think we would agree that parks cannot be really called a wilderness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 12:06:34 PM
I think we would agree that parks cannot be really called a wilderness.

Central Park can get pretty wild after dark.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2009, 11:54:58 AM
Not a natural wilderness, for sure, but it can still be a wilderness.

If it is managed, then it isn't a wilderness.  I think we would agree that parks cannot be really called a wilderness.

Depends on the park.

We have several National Parks that are thereby protected against any development but are otherwise uncontrolled - and indeed are indistinguishable from the surrounding unprotected areas.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:51:19 AM
To me, wilderness doesn't have to be "untouched", but protected, in that motor vehicles are prohibited, there are significant trees, wildlife, etc.
Disagree.

Most of Yukon (indeed, most of northern Canada) is unprotected.  That being said it is completely untouched and trees and wildlife run free.
The trees in the Yukon run free! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2009, 12:17:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:51:19 AM
Disagree.

The annual migrations of the ents is a wonder to behold. -_-

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2009, 12:17:45 PM

These running trees shall destroy us all! :o

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

I always thought of true "wilderness" being more or less like what we call Crown Land - that is, land not actually owned or managed by anyone, other than a handful of fire rangers and the like.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Barrister

KRonn

Canadians even have free range forests!?   :huh: 

Trees running wild and free!!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 12:04:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:29:31 AM
Kukulwash Glacier, Kluane National Park. :wub:

Not "wilderness" except in its loosest definition. :contract:

Wilderness imples the unchecked growth of vegetation (that's the "wild" part).
wil·der·ness (wldr-ns)
n.
1. An unsettled, uncultivated region left in its natural condition, especially:

• a. A large wild tract of land covered with dense vegetation or forests.
  • b. An extensive area, such as a desert or ocean, that is barren or empty; a waste.
  • c. A piece of land set aside to grow wild.
2. Something characterized by bewildering vastness, perilousness, or unchecked profusion: the wilderness of the city; the wilderness of counterespionage; a wilderness of voices.

I think we can agree that it's certainly unsettled and uncultivated, although its natural condition may be up for debate.  What he said was technically correct.  Moreover, as the high mountain top shown on the picture is surrounded by a lower, densely vegetated area, I think it would still fit into your more narrow definition.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.