Main Menu

Gov. Mark Sanford goes crazy, disappears

Started by Caliga, June 23, 2009, 07:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 10:34:25 AM
Yeah, I expect he'll be resigning or something.
More likely "something" than resigning.  :P
Up your nose with a rubber hose, Mister Kotter  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

I'm assuming this story is politico-speak for "going on a muli-day bender with booze, coke and whores".*  :D

*Perfect way to celebrate Father's Day. Not just a Hallmark holiday!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2009, 10:42:39 AM
I'm assuming this story is politico-speak for "going on a muli-day bender with booze, coke and whores".*  :D
Unpossible, as politicians never do shit like that.  :)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
Unpossible, as politicians never do shit like that.  :)

Of course not.

They "go hiking on the Appalachian Trail".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I went hiking on the Appalachian Trail several times, but I failed to get drunk and/or laid.  :blush:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 10:46:13 AM
I went hiking on the Appalachian Trail several times, but I failed to get drunk and/or laid.  :blush:

Yeah but you went hiking, not "hiking".  ;)

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 09:02:40 AM
What as soon as you become Governor of a State you cannot just wander off and go hiking for a week or so?
Correct.  As a governor, you have responsibilities.  You cannot just wander off (though I don't believe for a second that the announced story is true, and wonder just what Sanford was really up to).

It probably isn't coincidental that he disappeared right after the SC legislature overrode all 10 of his vetoes (one of them 144-7!).

According to Wikipedia, he should be used to that by now:

Sanford sometimes had a contentious relationship with the South Carolina General Assembly, even though it is controlled by his party. The Republican-led SC House of Representatives overrode 105 of Sanford's 106 budget vetoes on May 26, 2004.[9] The following day, Sanford brought live pigs into the House chamber as a visual protest against "pork projects".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2009, 10:50:48 AM
The following day, Sanford brought live pigs into the House chamber as a visual protest against "pork projects".
How degrading for pigs.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2009, 08:58:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 08:49:18 AM
Why is this such a big deal?  So the guy has gone out of pocket for awhile.  Supposedly he does this fairly often.

Is it even safe to go into the wilderness alone, never mind without people knowing where you are?
Of course it is.  The question is, should he have done this?  Given that he's the chief executive of a government, and has all kinds of responsibilities, clearly the answer is:  No.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2009, 08:58:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 08:49:18 AM
Why is this such a big deal?  So the guy has gone out of pocket for awhile.  Supposedly he does this fairly often.

Is it even safe to go into the wilderness alone, never mind without people knowing where you are? Could we end up with a search party combing the southern section of the appalachian trail for a week to find the SC governor who broke his ankle.

The wilderness?  No, not safe.

Anywhere in the eastern US however...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:03:25 AMThe wilderness?  No, not safe.

:lol: There's plenty of wilderness in the eastern US.  The eastern US is not just the Boston-Washington urban corridor. :contract:

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 11:04:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:03:25 AMThe wilderness?  No, not safe.

:lol: There's plenty of wilderness in the eastern US.  The eastern US is not just the Boston-Washington urban corridor. :contract:

No kidding. Hasn't he seen Deliverance?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Wait a sec.... does the Appalachian Trail even go through South Carolina? :unsure:

I know it passes through the Smokies, and if it continues down that corridor it would not pass within South Carolina.

grumbler

I'm assuming this story is politico-speak for "going on a muli-day bender with booze, coke and whores".*  :D:
That certainly is what I assume.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!