News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gov. Mark Sanford goes crazy, disappears

Started by Caliga, June 23, 2009, 07:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 11:08:14 AM
Wait a sec.... does the Appalachian Trail even go through South Carolina? :unsure:

I know it passes through the Smokies, and if it continues down that corridor it would not pass within South Carolina.

I think that governors are allowed to leave their states. The article said the last trace of him was a cell phone signal near Atlanta, so he was probably going through the part of the trail in the Turner Field region.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 11:04:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2009, 11:03:25 AMThe wilderness?  No, not safe.

Anywhere in the eastern US however...
:lol: There's plenty of wilderness in the eastern US.  The eastern US is not just the Boston-Washington urban corridor. :contract:

I'm thinking your definition of "wilderness" is a bit different from Dudley Do-right's ;)

And FWIW, I'd say there's relatively little wilderness east of the Rocky Mountains.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2009, 11:12:15 AM
I think that governors are allowed to leave their states.
Not when there's work to do they aren't, dammit!  Roll those sleeves up and get back to work pretending you're working hard!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2009, 11:14:06 AM
I'm thinking your definition of "wilderness" is a bit different from Dudley Do-right's ;)

And FWIW, I'd say there's relatively little wilderness east of the Rocky Mountains.
I guess it depends on how you'd define 'wilderness'.  There is almost no 'untouched wilderness', yes, but there are plenty of large tracts where little to no humans live, such as in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Daniel Boone National Forest, the Everglades, etc.  To me those all count as wilderness.

Savonarola

Jenny Granholm never does things like this; South Carolina has all the luck.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 11:04:48 AM
:lol: There's plenty of wilderness in the eastern US. 

:rolleyes:

Just because you call it wilderness doesn't make it so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Caliga

PREDICTION:  This thread is about to become a dick-waving extravaganza. -_-

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 11:23:14 AM
PREDICTION:  This thread is about to become a dick-waving extravaganza. -_-

-_-

Caliga

Anyway, I didn't take that pic, but I have plenty of pics from Kentucky and Tennessee that show vast forests practically untouched by man.  None of them are primeval forest, to be sure, but I mean human intrusion is very minimal these days.

I've been to Big South Fork National Recreation Area, the Great Smoky Mountains, and the Boone National Forest, among others.

Of course, you might also be able to argue that Mammoth Cave is a true wilderness of sorts. ^_^

Barrister

Kukulwash Glacier, Kluane National Park. :wub:

Barrister

KRonn

Caliga, good picture of the Daniel Boone forest! I bet that would be a great place to put up a bunch of condos!!  ;)  Imagine the scenic vistas the owners would have!

Caliga

Beeb's pics make me shiver.  Therefore, I win.  :cool:

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 11:27:38 AM
Anyway, I didn't take that pic, but I have plenty of pics from Kentucky and Tennessee that show vast forests practically untouched by man.  None of them are primeval forest, to be sure, but I mean human intrusion is very minimal these days.

I've been to Big South Fork National Recreation Area, the Great Smoky Mountains, and the Boone National Forest, among others.

Of course, you might also be able to argue that Mammoth Cave is a true wilderness of sorts. ^_^

To me, wilderness doesn't have to be "untouched", but protected, in that motor vehicles are prohibited, there are significant trees, wildlife, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall