Main Menu

Fandom and You

Started by Savonarola, June 25, 2015, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2015, 03:11:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 03:01:41 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on June 25, 2015, 08:17:26 PM
I occasionally in business or personal transactions require that the other party recognize Stannis as the proper king of Westeros. I have occasionally been forced to back out of otherwise sound situations due to intransigence on this final issue.

Stannis is dead.

So is Jesus. Glass houses, Pole.
:D

Brazen

I consider "anything I'm prepared to wear a t-shirt of" sufficient proof of fandom.

I am a fangirl of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy (I used to write for the fanclub magazine), Star Trek TNG, rebooted Doctor Who and Sherlock. Comics wise, Sandman, Hellblazer and Batman.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on June 26, 2015, 06:26:17 AM
I consider "anything I'm prepared to wear a t-shirt of" sufficient proof of fandom.

I can agree with that distinction.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I am a fangirl of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy
:wub:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

T Shirts:
Nightmare Before Christmas, Star Wars, Toyota FJ Cruiser events, Call of Duty, Walking Dead, Navy related, running/races.
Edit, forgot concert shirts, La Ley and  Robi Draco Rosa.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

T-shirts: Star Wars, Alien, Lovecraft, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Tolkien, Mad Max, Firefly, Clint Eastwood. I don't seem to own any band shirts anymore. :unsure:

Plus a bunch of baseball jerseys (Pirates, Padres vintage, Mets vintage, Brooklyn vintage, Expos, Blue Jays, Angels, Mariners, White Sox vintage).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I want a a Mad Max shirt.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Larch

Back in the day Pulp Fiction hit me so hard that I became a massive Tarantino fanboy for several years around my mid-late teenage years.

Duque de Bragança

I am a fangirl of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy (I used to write for the fanclub magazine), Star Trek TNG, rebooted Doctor Who and Sherlock. Comics wise, Sandman, Hellblazer and Batman.

Music t-shirts (mostly metal), so Marduk, In Extremo, Motörhead, Rage, Elend, Trust, plus some even lesser known bands.

As for movies, if there is a screening of a movie I am a fan, I go rewatch it if possible even if I have it on blu-ray such as To Live and Die in L.A recently on the Champs-Élysées film festival.

I suppose jerseys count as well? Well, I have a dozen of them, from Porto, Portugal, PSG plus some more... Watching a Porto-Sporting game in Paris for the Portuguese supercup does not count as a game abroad when one lives in Paris, of course.
Also a hockey jersey (Canadiens de Montréal ) given to me.
Most of the games I have seen abroad were for the Portuguese selection though. But then I can mix it with a cultural visit such as visiting Uppsala, and being told that Bergman shot Fanny and Alexander in the house I just happen to drop by.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 04:03:10 PM
Like I've said before, my expectations for Episodes I thru III were so low that I was actually sort of impressed with Episodes II & III.  Episode I was exactly as shitty as I expected.

So were mine, at least after the first one. But they did not just fail as Star Wars films but as films. I expected them to not be worthy of Star Wars or the Empire Strikes Back but at least I expected fun B movies. I mean that is what I expected from the Hobbit films and that is roughly what I got, though the 'Battle of the Five Armies' treaded perilously close to the line.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I occasionally dress as either a gestapo agent or SS dude.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2015, 02:20:20 PM
I love original Star Wars so much that I saw "When Clones Attack" and "Revenge of the Sith" in the theater even after watching "The Phantom Menace" and "When Clones Attack" respectively.   <_<
When the Phantom Menace was released on DVD, my friend and I, drunk as we both were all the time, we observed a minute of silence before the beginning of the movie.  Then I think it took us like 3-4 hrs to get through the movie, always going back to every moment.

There are such movies that are infinately enhanced by the use of alcohol.

But aside that, nothing particular.  No night spent in front of a theater, no tatoos, no weird pet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 26, 2015, 08:18:04 AM
I occasionally dress as either a gestapo agent or SS dude.

I love Hugo Boss and wear it a lot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

If it is just that, what makes that different from being just a normal fan? I think my wearing a Los Angeles t-shirt is rather different from you writing for a fanclub magazine. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

By Brazen's rule, I'm a fan of whichever national parks my mom vacations to.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?