South Korean Illustrator Gives Iconic Western Fairy Tales an Eastern Makeover

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2015, 11:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Some of these are really nice. :)

Quotehttp://twentytwowords.com/this-south-korean-illustrator-reimagines-iconic-western-fairy-tales-with-an-eastern-makeover/2/

When you picture fairytale princes and princesses, what do you see?
Most likely, you think of the Disneyfied versions inspired by the original stories.
But South Korean illustrator Na Young Wu sees things a little differently.
She's reimagined these beloved characters in the Korean "manhwa" style, and the results are refreshingly beautiful...
Beauty and the Beast

Alice in Wonderland

Snow White

The Little Mermaid

The Princess and the Frog

The Wild Swans

Little Red Riding Hood

The Snow Queen

Via: Imgur
The characters are drawn not only to have more Korean facial features, but they're also fitted with traditional Korean outfits and hairstyles.
What a beautiful blend of East and West!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Huh. I guess I always pictured the Big Bad Wolf as actually being a wolf.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 11:22:05 PM

I always pictured him dressed a Pharaoh or a Swami
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 11:22:05 PM
Wolves have no mythological resonance in Korea, so it was changed to a fox spirit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Beauty and the beast doesn't quite mean the same thing when the beast is a pretty tiger .

Also funny how the girl doesn't so much look properly Korean as more akin to modern plastic k pop people
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on June 25, 2015, 01:28:39 AM
Beauty and the beast doesn't quite mean the same thing when the beast is a pretty tiger .

TMI. Though if there is one person on the board who would be a furry, it's either you or lettow.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on June 25, 2015, 01:45:20 AM

TMI. Though if there is one person on the board who would be a furry, it's either you or lettow.
You are over looking a much more obvious candidate. You know, the guy who makes beastiality pun all the time?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I think Brain is a strictly western hemisphere animals man.  No Asian tigers or platypus for him.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2015, 02:11:12 AM
I think Brain is a strictly western hemisphere animals man.  No Asian tigers or platypus for him.
Has Brain ever even traveled to the Western Hemisphere?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2015, 02:14:19 AM

I meant "western world".  :sleep:

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2015, 02:14:19 AM

I have seen America. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2015, 02:06:55 AM

You are over looking a much more obvious candidate. You know, the guy who makes beastiality pun all the time?

That's too obvious. Though I could see CdM dressing up as a cat, too.

Josquius

I appreciate its prettiness platonically.
Its perfectly possible for one animal to be prettier than another. Doesn't mean I'd shag them.
Furry- no god no
██████
██████
██████