News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cal's Jimmy Buffett AAR

Started by Caliga, June 24, 2015, 10:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

AAR, CONTINUED

(Note:  Names may have been changed to protect the innocent.)

Our rebel Parrothead faction had the following cast of characters:

Captain Tim the Pirate (complete with feathered pirate tricorner hat), and wench/wife Tammy who squawks like a parrot laughs at everything

Charlene the junkie who, unlike everyone else, brought weed and X and looks like Lori Petty from Tank Girl

'Nautical Wheeler' Rick whose ankles were destroyed in a car accident, and so needs a motorized wheelchair.  He's actually everyone's favorite because he tows a wheelbarrow behind his chair with a giant cooler full of bourbon and vodka gummi bears in it

a guy who looks just like my dad who owns a company that contracts with NASA, so Princesca loved talking about nerdy stuff with him

Sam the belligerent drunk in a hula skirt

Unfortunately my favorite , Derby City Dave, wasn't with us and I never saw him the whole time.  Nobody knows his real name... he's just Derby City Dave to everyone.  He's an old guy (probably 70 or more) who somehow always has hot chicks with giant boobs hanging off his arm.  I told him once how much I admired his taste in ladies and chick magnet skills and he promised to take me under his wing one day. :wub:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

AAR, CONTINUED

I mentioned earlier that this was my first actual Buffett concert, so as a Buffett Virgin, I had certain tasks I had to perform to lose my Virginity.  I only got half of them done but everyone was too wasted to notice so I think I will get away with my failure. :shifty:

* Do a shotski with another virgin - I'm such a loser for failing this one.  The shotski booth was actually like 20 feet from our camp, and there were two other virgins with me most of the day, but somehow I never made it over there.

* Take a picture with Flamingo Man - accomplished.  Maybe I'll post that one later.

* Suck or Blow - accomplished, like I mentioned earlier when I went over my liquor inventory

* Play some coconut bowling - failed, but nobody set that shit up... so I feel like I was set up to fail yesterday. :mad:

* Take a picture with a police man - accomplished. :sleep:

* Do a shot from the liquor luge - failed.  That booth was set up at the opposite end of the tailgate area and I didn't get back over there in time.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2015, 02:02:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2015, 01:58:17 PM
Is there a right or wrong way to do a jello shot? :unsure:  I figured you just eat it.
I know of two ways to do it:

1.  Open your mouth and crush the shit out of the plastic cup, which squirts it in there (the 'dude method')
2.  Wet your finger, stick it in the cup between the shot and the rim, rub it around to 'loosen' it, and then stick your tongue in there and twist it till it drops out onto your tongue (the 'chick method')

I showed her both ways but to my surprise she seemed to like method #1 better.

I was only familiar with #1, which seemed to be the only intuitive method.  But I haven't done jello shots since the 90s. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

I have never done jello shots... sober. So I have no idea of the proper way to drink/eat/slurp/inhale them.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

I generally don't prefer to drink at concerts, so I'd fail immediately.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

Fascinating.

Never heard of this guy, thank you Cal. He's not my speed exactly but are you supposed to enjoy him as is, or is there some nod and a wink in play here as well?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2015, 04:10:57 PM
He's not my speed exactly but are you supposed to enjoy him as is, or is there some nod and a wink in play here as well?

As is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Euros' first impressions of Jimmy Buffett :lol:  This thread delivers.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2015, 04:13:33 PM
He's not my speed exactly but are you supposed to enjoy him as is, or is there some nod and a wink in play here as well?

As is.

You may know better than I, but I think it's more about the experience (aka all the drinking and partying Cal is talking about), and less so about specifically going to listen to Buffet's music.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2015, 04:13:33 PM

As is.

:XD:

Yeah, that's a bit too real for me at first listen.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

Never heard of this guy, thank you Cal. He's not my speed exactly but are you supposed to enjoy him as is, or is there some nod and a wink in play here as well?
I'm inclined to agree with spiess and say 'as is' too, but what exactly do you mean by 'nod and a wink in play'.... as in is he a comedy artist like Weird Al Yankovic?

He's a bit of a ham on stage, but he's not what I would call a comedy act, no.

derspiess

Yeah, it's not a cult following.  People aren't secretly laughing at the guy.  They worship him.

Tonitrus

I find the idea of a "rebel" group of the kind amusing...especially as it is supposed to be all about laid back partying/drinking.  It goes to show that humans can inject inane politics, and ruin everything.

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 24, 2015, 04:53:57 PM
I find the idea of a "rebel" group of the kind amusing...especially as it is supposed to be all about laid back partying/drinking.  It goes to show that humans can inject inane politics, and ruin everything.
Exactly! :lol:

It's a long story, but in a nutshell this dude was elected president of that chapter and started scaling back public-facing charitable activities because membership was growing too large and it was becoming impossible to have a party at any one person's house due to all the people. :wacko:  The group I went with yesterday includes two former presidents who quit over this.  Indeed, there was a charity fundraiser at a bar in Lexington in April that we went to... there were no 'official' members of the Blue Grass chapter there, but plenty of these defectors and then Derby Parrotheads.