News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

700 people drop dead from the heat in Pakistan

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2015, 12:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Damn, that is a huge number. :o

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pakistan-heat-wave-kills-hundreds-victims-dying-streets-n380201

QuotePakistan Heat Wave Kills Hundreds: Victims 'Dying On the Streets'

by Wajahat S. Khan and Sarah Burke

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — A heat wave raging through southern Pakistan has claimed more than 700 lives, officials said, with witnesses describing victims "dropping dead" on the streets.

Temperatures have exceeded 110 degrees in recent days, and thousands of people have been left to face the heat without electricity amid widespread power outages.

At Karachi's largest hospital, more than 150 people have been admitted for heatstroke since Monday, according to Ali Nawazish, the emergency room registrar at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center.

"Some patients have come to us with their families, some have been found by ambulances, and some families have come here looking for their loved ones who they fear are dead or affected," Nawazish said. "It's chaos."

Ramzan Chippa, who runs a volunteer ambulance service with a fleet of 300, told NBC News that all his vehicles are committed and that most of their relief activity is taking bodies to morgues.

"Most of the bodies we are recovering are people dying on the streets. They're just dropping dead," said Chippa. "Graveyards have filled up."

The army has joined the relief effort, setting up heatstroke relief camps in Karachi and five other cities in Sindh province. But relief systems are stretched across the city, and small, angry skirmishes have erupted in protest.

A deputy commissioner in the Korangi suburb of Karachi admitted that public relief services are stretched to their limits.

"People are screaming at us on our helpline to get help them, and when we do, they fight to get on the ambulance," he said.

More opposition parties, including the Karachi-based Muttahida Qaumi movement, are blaming the federal government for the crisis, which they say has been compounded by massive power cuts all across Sindh province.

Dildar Shah lives in the Karachi suburb on Malir and has lost two neighbors to the extreme conditions. "This is like the Day of Judgment," he said. "It seems all of us will die in this heat together."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

There was an early 90's mini-series (with Craig T. Nelson) with a "near future" plot on global warming, with everybody running to Canada and the canucks having to shoot the American refugees storming the border.  It was set in 2017, so almost right on time.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2015, 02:21:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 24, 2015, 02:20:49 AM
Third World Problems.  :rolleyes:
Didn't this happen to France a few years back?

If by a few years back you mean 2003 then yes. But I think it was just a few old people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

It's Ramadan, so that explains a lot, with most people not drinking and eating all day long.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Quote from: viper37 on June 25, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
It's Ramadan, so that explains a lot, with most people not drinking and eating all day long.

Doesn't it have an exception for the sickly and infirm?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on June 25, 2015, 09:07:59 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 25, 2015, 08:40:30 AM

Doesn't it have an exception for the sickly and infirm?

Yeah if you are sick you are exempt. It is only for those physically able.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 09:40:04 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2015, 02:21:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 24, 2015, 02:20:49 AM
Third World Problems.  :rolleyes:
Didn't this happen to France a few years back?

If by a few years back you mean 2003 then yes. But I think it was just a few old people.

Well, 14,000 of them, but like Marty said, third world problems.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2015, 10:18:21 AM
Well, 14,000 of them, but like Marty said, third world problems.

I see your slur and raise you 9,000 similarly dead Germans -_-