News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Putin’s Plot to Get Texas to Secede

Started by jimmy olsen, June 23, 2015, 10:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2015, 06:50:02 PM
I remember reading that KGB had perhaps the best intelligence gathering operation in the world, but one of the worst analyzing capabilities.  They were constantly looking for real decision making body in the US unable to to believe that Congress actually did pass the laws in the US.  Eventually they decided that the Masons controlled the US, functioning like communist Party did in the Soviet Union.
My guess is that at the root of it, cynical people are unable to understand naive people.  They may take advantage of them, but they can't get inside their head and understand how they think.  And when it comes right down to it, Russians are the most cynical people in the world, while Americans are the most naive.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2015, 07:33:37 PM
My guess is that at the root of it, cynical people are unable to understand naive people.  They may take advantage of them, but they can't get inside their head and understand how they think.  And when it comes right down to it, Russians are the most cynical people in the world, while Americans are the most naive.

I beg to differ.  After all, the EU's relations with the rest of the world is pretty much based on the notion that if other countries see them being nice they'll be moved in their hearts to be nice too.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 05:43:16 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2015, 05:35:16 PM
:sleep:

The point he was trying to make was we wouldn't be cool with Texas just quitting the U S of A, so neither should we expect Russia to be cool with Chechnya just quitting Russia.

I don't think anybody had a problem with Russia not being cool with Chechnya just quitting Russia but rather the way in which Russia expressed their lack of coolness with it. So it kind of sounded like either he was saying he would expect the USA to do identical things in Texas or that he would think the USA perfectly justified for doing so.

I mean nobody would have a problem for me not being cool with my wife cheating on me but they might have a problem with me killing her lover and his entire extended family, his friends, his business associates, and all his followers on twitter in response.
Last time Texas seceded, the US killed 2% of the population.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2015, 09:14:38 PM

We had it coming.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 09:31:04 PM

We had it coming.

If we had only killed Texans, we would have gotten them all.  :(

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2015, 06:39:58 PM
Russians in general have an incredibly difficult time not viewing US through their own distorted prism.  They truly don't get it, even the KGB men whose job it is to rationally size up a potentially enemy and understand it.

The US used to have the same problem.  IIRC every single analysis during the Cold War overestimated the Russians' capabilities.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 24, 2015, 07:18:51 PM
In fact, Texans will probably tell you that they are the most important Americans.  :P
they'll take over the US before they seceed?  sounds right :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: ulmont on June 24, 2015, 10:21:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2015, 06:39:58 PM
Russians in general have an incredibly difficult time not viewing US through their own distorted prism.  They truly don't get it, even the KGB men whose job it is to rationally size up a potentially enemy and understand it.

The US used to have the same problem.  IIRC every single analysis during the Cold War overestimated the Russians' capabilities.
The KGB didn't understand us does not mean they overestimated us, they could have underestimated us, which would be more dangerous.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2015, 07:33:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2015, 06:50:02 PM
I remember reading that KGB had perhaps the best intelligence gathering operation in the world, but one of the worst analyzing capabilities.  They were constantly looking for real decision making body in the US unable to to believe that Congress actually did pass the laws in the US.  Eventually they decided that the Masons controlled the US, functioning like communist Party did in the Soviet Union.

I disagree.  Russians are paranoid more then anything else, and that makes them extremely gullible, (though paranoids would deny this).  If someone is paranoid they easily fall for anything that reinforces their belief.  I'll use a Russo-American as an example:  Orly Tate is Russian immigrant who believes that Obama was not born in this country.  So desperate for something that will reinforce this belief she purchased what she thought was his true birth certificate and happily displayed it the press, who immediately saw it as a fraud because it said Republic of Kenya a state that did not exist when Obama was born.  I suspect Russian leaders play on this same gullibility, the paradox that those who are the most suspicious are the most easily hoodwinked.  These Russians who pride them selves on  their cynicism will believe anything if it's wrapped up in a conspiracy involving the CIA or whatever boogie man they happen to fear no matter how absurd the story.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

:yes: Being retarded doesn't make you cynical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Valmy is right about Houston. Strong chemical smell along I-10.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2015, 10:01:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 09:31:04 PM

We had it coming.
So do the Chechens.

I admit, I never sympathized with the Chechens.  Back in the 1990's, I did read many articles sympathetic to their cause.  Still, they struck me as unpleasant murdering bastards back then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 25, 2015, 05:22:29 AM
Valmy is right about Houston. Strong chemical smell along I-10.

Thank you!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Isn't there a big paper mill or some such in Houston that just reeks the whole place up (along with the refineries)?