News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Putin’s Plot to Get Texas to Secede

Started by jimmy olsen, June 23, 2015, 10:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

And that's the thing the Russians don't understand.  Texans aren't an Ethnic group.  They are simply Americans who live in the state of Texas.  Russia is made up of various people's conquered by the Muscovites.  American territory is sparsely populated land that was settled by either people of one culture or small groups of people other cultures who aspired to be part of the larger American culture.  The closest analogy would be either Guam or Puerto Rico leaving the US which would be met with indifference.  At best it might have a temporary outrage like the US handover of the Panama Canal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Texans have a better claim to being an ethnic group than Albertans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

But less then Louisianans or Hawaiians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2015, 06:02:51 PM
or Hawaiians.
What proportion of the population is native these days? Aren't the largest ethnic groups Filipinos,  Japanese and assorted whites in that order?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

citizen k

I don't think it's ethnic so much as cultural. It's a Texas state of mind.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 06:06:19 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2015, 05:46:22 PM
Putin would be ok with that response. :)

:lol:
Make sure you do it all barechested, though, and commit the murders with either poison umbrella tips, judo throws, or while riding a horse or shark. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: citizen k on June 24, 2015, 06:14:34 PM
I know a lot of Texans and I've heard them joke about being a Texan before an American, but none of it is ever serious.  It's the same with Confederate stuff down here... people joke about it and damn Yankees, but nobody is ever serious about any of that shit.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Russians in general have an incredibly difficult time not viewing US through their own distorted prism.  They truly don't get it, even the KGB men whose job it is to rationally size up a potentially enemy and understand it.

Razgovory

I remember reading that KGB had perhaps the best intelligence gathering operation in the world, but one of the worst analyzing capabilities.  They were constantly looking for real decision making body in the US unable to to believe that Congress actually did pass the laws in the US.  Eventually they decided that the Masons controlled the US, functioning like communist Party did in the Soviet Union.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2015, 05:43:16 PM
I mean nobody would have a problem for me not being cool with my wife cheating on me but they might have a problem with me killing her lover and his entire extended family, his friends, his business associates, and all his followers on twitter in response.
in some part of the world, it would be considered an extremely measured response.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2015, 06:17:41 PM
Quote from: citizen k on June 24, 2015, 06:14:34 PM
I know a lot of Texans and I've heard them joke about being a Texan before an American, but none of it is ever serious.  It's the same with Confederate stuff down here... people joke about it and damn Yankees, but nobody is ever serious about any of that shit.
there could also be a simpler difference. People are proud of being Texans, they may even consider themselves Texans first and will resist any covert plot of the Federal government to take over their lands (and guns) by staging military exercise in their State ;) , but, at the end of the day, they're just equally proud to be Americans.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

In fact, Texans will probably tell you that they are the most important Americans.  :P

Razgovory