Texas Sons of Confederate Veterans build CSA memorial on MLK jr. Drive.

Started by Syt, June 20, 2015, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2015, 05:52:31 PM
Does the same apply to ancestors who fought in the American Revolution?

If they were members of Tory militia?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2015, 06:16:54 PM

Then after the war they moved to Canada :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on June 20, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2015, 06:16:54 PM

Then after the war they moved to Canada :(
Those poor bastards.  :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: dps on June 20, 2015, 05:27:18 PM
If your ancestors fought for the Confederacy, they were traitors, and you shouldn't be proud of them.  And you maybe shouldn't even be here, because a lot of them should have been hanged for their treason.

only if they were on the losing side.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

I had a Tory ancestor and he didn't move to Canada after the war. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2015, 11:01:49 AM
Well ... yeah.

http://www.citylab.com/crime/2015/06/texas-built-a-confederate-memorial-on-a-street-named-for-martin-luther-king-jr/396344/?utm_source=atlanticFB

QuoteTexas Built a Confederate Memorial on a Street Named for Martin Luther King Jr.

Building new Confederate memorials is the business of Confederate heritage groups—and business is good.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans might chuckle to hear the revived debate over the Confederate battle flag that flies over the South Carolina State House. One-hundred fifty years after the surrender of the Confederacy to the Union, the symbols of that vanquished pretend-state aren't disappearing. They're proliferating.

In Orange, Texas, the Texas Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans just built a large Confederate memorial park, complete with a classical-ish monument featuring 13 columns—one for each of the states in the short-lived, and utterly defeated, Confederate States of America. Now, drivers who cross the state line from Louisiana into Texas will not be able to avoid the sight of 32 different Confederate regimental flags.

This being East Texas, the Sons of Confederate Veterans parked the memorial as close to Interstate 10 as possible, so that "over 55,000 cars per day see Confederate Flags flying proudly in the Texas breeze." (No one else would see it, otherwise.) And this being Confederate sympathizers, they did not hesitate to build the memorial where the highway meets Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

The Beaumont chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People opposed the memorial, according to The Beaumont Enterprise, as did residents of Beaumont and Orange. In fact, no residents spoke up in favor of the monument during an Orange City Council meeting about the monument in February 2013, where many residents turned up to oppose it.

But Granvel Block, head of the Texas Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, nevertheless prevailed. (Block was also a plaintiff in the Supreme Court case over Confederate license plates. He lost in that arena.) In fact, divisions of the Sons of Confederate Veterans have succeeded all across the country in recent years—in Georgetown, Delaware, for example, in 2007, despite the fact that Delaware did not secede. Arizona, a state that didn't even exist during the Civil War, put up a Confederate memorial in Sierra Vista in 2010.

In fact, it wasn't that long ago that a prominent Confederate base was a feature on the social circuit in the nation's capital. Confederate Memorial Hall—a home and gathering place for Confederate veterans in Washington, D.C., and later, a social hall for white politicians from the South—stood for all but 11 years of the 20th century. This living social-and-political memorial to the Confederacy, located just off Logan Circle, only closed in 1997.

"This was all from the early 20th-century period of reconciliation, let bygones be bygones," said Gary Scott, a National Park Service historian, in an interview with The Washington Post about Confederate Memorial Hall. "Left out were African Americans. It was a reconciliation of the white South and the white North."

The same could be said about the Confederate flag wherever it flies: in Texas, in South Carolina, in Arizona, it is always and only a marker of pride for whites. It sends a different message to black people, as my colleague Brentin Mock explains for The New York Times.

In 2010, activists in Charleston were able to successfully block the state division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans from building a monument to secession. A century and a half after the defeat of the South, it is one of the few symbolic battles that the Union has been able to win.

I will suggest the erection of a Waffen SS memorial on Theodor Herzl Platz here in Vienna, so that Austrians can be proud of their ancestors and heritage. :)

Oh for fuck's sake. Ya'll lost, get over it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 20, 2015, 07:04:10 PM
I had a Tory ancestor and he didn't move to Canada after the war. :hmm:

Mine did. But then his son moved back...and then died during the California Gold Rush. Should have stayed in Canada.

QuoteI had a Tory ancestor and he didn't move to Canada after the war.

And he wasn't executed? Lucky bastard. One of my ancestors went around North Carolina and Virginia hanging Tories without trial. Then the Virginia Legislature declared it all legal ex post facto. Thanks guys!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Caliga

My Tory ancestor just got beaten up and his farm was confiscated. :)  He just went to live with one of his sons though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 20, 2015, 08:15:13 PM
My Tory ancestor just got beaten up and his farm was confiscated. :)  He just went to live with one of his sons though.

The local patriots went soft. :(

Razgovory

If your ancestors fought for the Confederacy, they were traitors, and you shouldn't be proud of them.  And you maybe shouldn't even be here, because a lot of them should have been hanged for their treason.

No, they won.  That makes a big difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2015, 06:16:15 PM

Um you do realize it was illegal for Confederate white men between the ages of 18 and 35 to NOT be in military service? Unless you know a lot about their lives you might want to learn a bit more before you condemn them just for that.

It was also illegal to be in rebellion against the US.  I believe every confederate state furnished at least one regiment to the Union cause.  If you have to fight,  it would be best to travel north and enlist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2015, 09:06:59 PM
It was also illegal to be in rebellion against the US.  I believe every confederate state furnished at least one regiment to the Union cause.  If you have to fight,  it would be best to travel north and enlist.

Oh for fucksake. In any case you would be wrong and you might want to read up a bit on the nature of a lot of those regiments. They were often irregulars who just joined up for the looting. For most people heading north to join the Union was not a realistic option or response to conscription. Besides if you did that you could pretty much never go home again.

dps

Um you do realize it was illegal for Confederate white men between the ages of 18 and 35 to NOT be in military service? Unless you know a lot about their lives you might want to learn a bit more before you condemn them just for that.

I'm not saying that everyone who fought for the Confederacy should have been hanged, but the political leadership and most of high-ranking military officers, yes, they should have been.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2015, 09:06:59 PM

Except the usual suspect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Unionist#cite_ref-4
every Southern state, except South Carolina, raised at least a battalion.[4]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point