Pope's environmental encyclical: Climate Change a product of human selfishness

Started by The Larch, June 19, 2015, 10:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Unless you can get the Chinese and Indians to care, it doesn't really matter if the right or left in the US cares or not  ;)

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2015, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2015, 11:22:30 AM
People on the left are drooling over this thing, but they're conveniently ignoring the abortion part.

And if people on the right continue to ignore climate change we are not going to have to worry about whether a fetus has the right to life for much longer.

OCEAN ACIDIFICATION

Good luck trying to sleep tonight :contract:

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2015, 11:28:28 AM
Quote[hese emissions-reduction frameworks, it is safe to say, are simply insufficient. By themselves, they only offer a small chance of preventing the earth from becoming mostly uninhabitable
– for humans at least — over the next few centuries.

?
I don't think that kind of exaggeration is productive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 11:39:09 AM
Unless you can get the Chinese and Indians to care, it doesn't really matter if the right or left in the US cares or not  ;)

luckily the Chinese are beginning to invest heavily in alternative forms of energy.  And the US is a major player.  Of course it matters what they do.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2015, 11:40:10 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2015, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2015, 11:22:30 AM
People on the left are drooling over this thing, but they're conveniently ignoring the abortion part.

And if people on the right continue to ignore climate change we are not going to have to worry about whether a fetus has the right to life for much longer.

OCEAN ACIDIFICATION

Good luck trying to sleep tonight :contract:

:P

:ultra:

But seriously, it is getting worse.

The Minsky Moment

India is also going big into solar, for a lot of reasons it is a good fit for them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I read the other day the US and Europe are slapping big tariffs on Chinese solar panels.  That doesn't seem to make much sense.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Lots of vegetarians in India, which also helps.

In regards Malthus' point, it's less that the poor becoming rich, than the numbers. A middle class life is totally sustainable if only we'd die back more quickly.  It's happening, but the whole world should've gone with a One Child policy by the time it became clear that 1)Earth can barely sustain our present numbers at our current on-average low rate of consumption and 2)that human labor was going to be capable of being massively replaced by automation. I.e., 1980. Unfortunately, there was freedom.

I also have some ideas about how to use sex-selective abortion to achieve a proper gender balance, around 3 to 1 female to male, but that's a different, hotter program. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Admiral Yi

I would like to remind everyone of monger's elegantly simple, and emminently fair idea to impose a worldwide tax on carbon emissions.

If you're rich and consume a lot of power (like Al Gore), you can afford to pay more tax.  If you're poor and don't consume much, you won't pay much.  If the poor get richer, they will consume more and their ability to pay the tax will increase.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2015, 12:01:34 PM
I would like to remind everyone of monger's elegantly simple, and emminently fair idea to impose a worldwide tax on carbon emissions.

If you're rich and consume a lot of power (like Al Gore), you can afford to pay more tax.  If you're poor and don't consume much, you won't pay much.  If the poor get richer, they will consume more and their ability to pay the tax will increase.

I am not going to pay  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 12:04:55 PM

What does the HK electricity utility do when one of its customers doesn't pay his bills?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2015, 12:07:33 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 12:04:55 PM

What does the HK electricity utility do when one of its customers doesn't pay his bills?

Why should the HK electricity companies help enforce such a tax?  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 12:08:42 PM

Presumably because HK (or HK's boss) signed a treaty that required it to.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2015, 12:09:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 12:08:42 PM

Presumably because HK (or HK's boss) signed a treaty that required it to.

I have a hard time imagining that China or Hong Kong will agree to such a treaty.  The Chinese invest in alternative forms of energy to combat smog, not global warming.  Only a very small number of fringe environmentalists care.