Pope's environmental encyclical: Climate Change a product of human selfishness

Started by The Larch, June 19, 2015, 10:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2015, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 19, 2015, 11:29:14 AM
Then why shouldn't we be pleased that an ideological rival has moved leftward on a vital issue?

Just sayin' you (lefties) are using it as something to beat conservatives over the head with, but are cherry-picking when you do so.

For the most part I don't give a shit, either way.  I'm not Catholic.  If you want to go after Santorum or Jeb on this, feel free.

I've been against abortion for a long time.  It's a bit disingenuous to start complaining about cherry picking at this point isn't it?  I mean, the Church was always against Communism, and everyone was happy when Pope John Paul II was agitating the Soviets, but conservatives conveniently ignored what he said about capitalism or the church's stance on the immigration.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2015, 12:09:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 12:08:42 PM
Why should the HK electricity companies help enforce such a tax?  :P

Presumably because HK (or HK's boss) signed a treaty that required it to.

I have a hard time imagining that China or Hong Kong will agree to such a treaty.  The Chinese invest in alternative forms of energy to combat smog, not global warming.  Only a very small number of fringe environmentalists care.

To bad you're not a democracy then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on June 19, 2015, 11:24:31 AM
When the rich use their superior organization, it's market efficiency.

It's disgusting how the welfare of the fucking planet is a partisan issue. We clearly either live too short to think about the future properly, or live too long to keep the damage minimal.
the reason why climate change has remained unsolved is because it's a leftitst pet cause.  Then reactionary right wing ensued face to ridiculous proposals of the left.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2015, 12:01:34 PM
I would like to remind everyone of monger's elegantly simple, and emminently fair idea to impose a worldwide tax on carbon emissions.

If you're rich and consume a lot of power (like Al Gore), you can afford to pay more tax.  If you're poor and don't consume much, you won't pay much.  If the poor get richer, they will consume more and their ability to pay the tax will increase.
I dislike the tax principle.  It cannot be dodge, and no one profits from it.  The only thing you can do is minimize it.  There's no market, just a tax, that people will try to evade whenever they can, like sales tax or income tax.

A free market alternative as proposed by Kyoto would have been much more efficient.  Some companies can profit from others, people (well companies) that try to improve their process to reduce excess waste (in this case, mainly CO2) get compensated for their efforts while those who adopt a conservative approach that everything is allright and any problem will fix itself by reading the Bible aloud will have to pay for the inefficiency.

Had we done that 20 years ago, we could have eventually rallied China and India to our standards.  Right now, every one is pointing fingers.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2015, 11:22:30 AM
People on the left are drooling over this thing, but they're conveniently ignoring the abortion part.

That part isn't getting very much media play...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
I dislike the tax principle.  It cannot be dodge, and no one profits from it.  The only thing you can do is minimize it.  There's no market, just a tax, that people will try to evade whenever they can, like sales tax or income tax.

A free market alternative as proposed by Kyoto would have been much more efficient.  Some companies can profit from others, people (well companies) that try to improve their process to reduce excess waste (in this case, mainly CO2) get compensated for their efforts while those who adopt a conservative approach that everything is allright and any problem will fix itself by reading the Bible aloud will have to pay for the inefficiency.

Had we done that 20 years ago, we could have eventually rallied China and India to our standards.  Right now, every one is pointing fingers.

Of course people profit from it.  Anyone involved in renewable energy, for starters.

What I dislike most about Kyoto is that it created vested interests by handing out permits to existing polluters.  Why should the fact that someone has been polluting already grant them the right to continue to pollute?

The Brain

QuoteThe encyclical, named "Laudato Si (Be Praised), On the Care of Our Common Home", aims to inspire everyone - not just Roman Catholics - to protect the Earth.

Everyone? Stick to your followers, anti-Christ. <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
People on the left are drooling over this thing, but they're conveniently ignoring the abortion part.

Probably because abortion has nothing to do with climate change.   Or does Fox state otherwise?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2015, 01:29:05 PM
Probably because abortion has nothing to do with climate change.   Or does Fox state otherwise?

It probably reduces the effects or the rate of change, due to fewer energy consumers.

Anyway, if global warming gets too bad, my kids can move to Alaska.  :uffda:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2015, 01:02:49 PM
Of course people profit from it.  Anyone involved in renewable energy, for starters.

What I dislike most about Kyoto is that it created vested interests by handing out permits to existing polluters.  Why should the fact that someone has been polluting already grant them the right to continue to pollute?
they don't have the right to pollute, they have to buy credits for their pollution, from people who pollute less.  Overtime, there is a distinct advantage to any company that reduces its carbon dioxyde emissions.  There was a net benefit for everyone, even the oil industry.  The 1st phase gave exemption to then 3rd world countries like China and India.

See, in the 90s, all the rage was about acid rains.  Paper mills were all against any government measure to force them to reduce their emissions.  They fought hard and long against that, until they finally lost and threw the towel.  Then they realized they were way more competitive than their american counterparts.  Wich led to that whole problem with Free Trade and americans invoking all sorts of reasons to raise fees on our wood, but that's another matter. 

What is important here, is that our industry became more competitive then they were before.

When governments first talked about forcing auto makers to reduce their emissions, they fought long and hard against it.  And then, they started to realize that their cars were actually better and lots of people are willing to pay a premium for electric & hybrid cars, so that's all the rage now.  But had we listen to them, they'd still be selling 15L/100km SUVs instead of making tons of money with their new cars wich they can sell at a premium to willing customers.

viper37

well, less humans means less carbon dioxyde.  So, abortion is a good thing to reduce climate change ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
they don't have the right to pollute, they have to buy credits for their pollution, from people who pollute less.
They are buying credits from people who were given the right to pollute.

QuoteOvertime, there is a distinct advantage to any company that reduces its carbon dioxyde emissions.
The same is true under the mongers regime.  Any company that reduces emissions pays less carbon tax.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 02:14:59 PM

well, less humans means less carbon dioxyde.  So, abortion is a good thing to reduce climate change ;)

There are a lot of ways one can think of to reduce the number of humans on this planet.  Many of them seem a bit extreme.  Birth rates in the high carbon countries are already low.  The point seems a stretch at best.  At worst it is just another attempt to derail the real discussion.  How do we reduce carbon emissions in the developed world, China and India.