Pope's environmental encyclical: Climate Change a product of human selfishness

Started by The Larch, June 19, 2015, 10:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

The popester thinks Bruce Jenner should have been happy as a man. Cause that's how God made him.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

Like him or not, he seems to at least make the church somewhat relevant in the 21st century. By bringing it into the 20th. Which is quite a feat.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2015, 11:22:30 AM
People on the left are drooling over this thing, but they're conveniently ignoring the abortion part.

That part isn't getting very much media play...

Lots of things ignored don't get a lot of play in the media.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
A free market alternative

Taxation is not an alternative to a free market, it is in fact a pre-requisite to a free market.
And if the goal is to make taxation as efficient and less distortive as possible, carbon taxation has a lot to recommend it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Joan, I'm pretty sure veep was getting at policies which harness economic incentives.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2015, 02:48:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2015, 02:13:00 PM
I really like this Pope.

He's more or less willing to tolerate you back.  ;)

I am not saying I agree with all that he does or says - he still has his base to pander to. And I have found spiritual satisfaction outside of the Catholic church, so don't really need to get back in. But as Norgy said, he is at least making his voice relevant where he can, and shifting focus to stuff where he can make a difference while staying true to the Catholic message. So I am not as much a follower, as a fellow traveller of the guy. ;)

I bet I don't feel that much different about him than he feels about me.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on June 20, 2015, 09:34:44 AM
I bet I don't feel that much different about him than he feels about me.

:yes: He thinks you're waaay too old for him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Martinus

From the encyclical:

Quote"Saving banks at any cost, making the public pay the price, foregoing a firm commitment to reviewing and reforming the entire system, only reaffirms the absolute power of a financial system, a power which has no future and will only give rise to new crises after a slow, costly and only apparent recovery."

:wub:

Admiral Yi

For most members of the progressive left the facts at some point become irrelevant.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2015, 01:56:49 PM
For most members of the progressive left the facts at some point become irrelevant.

Is there such thing as "progressive right"? Or "regressive left"?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2015, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2015, 01:29:05 PM
Probably because abortion has nothing to do with climate change.   Or does Fox state otherwise?

It probably reduces the effects or the rate of change, due to fewer energy consumers.

Anyway, if global warming gets too bad, my kids can move to Alaska.  :uffda:

We had record highs in the 80s here a few days ago...it was pretty miserable.