News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2016, 01:58:44 PM
Nah, the regime they have in place is to maintain the principle of reciprocity; or as BB puts it "tit-for-tat".

I've been told it's to protect the environment and prevent smuggling.

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2016, 02:26:54 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 08, 2016, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2016, 02:13:23 PMAre you calling the EU a "little bitch"? There are Schengen states that don't have visa free travel to the US, but Americans can visit all of them without a visa.

do you know which ones?

I'm calling those schengen states little bitches, yes. brazil might be a world power some day; it's no croatia

I'm not an expert in the countries that require a visa to get inot the US, but until recently poland was one. They wanted to change that and maybe we did.

So maybe poland, and I'd guess all the countries worse than poland.

Every country in the EU can get into the US without a visa except for Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2016, 02:32:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2016, 01:29:41 PMThat sounds like petty tit-for-tat to me.

Petty tit-for-tat is the cornerstone of visa diplomacy.

A few years ago Brazil got mad at Spain because some Brazilian tourists were turned back in the airport in Madrid because the police suspected that they were trying to inmigrate illegally when they were actually some preppy well-off kids doing some tourism. Brazil's answer? Demanding exactly the same assurances to Spanish tourists wanting to enter Brazil than what Spain was demanding to Brazilian tourists.

It certainly is a cornerstone of diplomacy.  Doesn't make it a good idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2016, 01:40:40 PM
To them, it is a source of profit, not migration control.

I have a feeling the fee I paid for myself and my two kids went towards a new piece of jewelry for Argentina's bitch ex-president.  I would have spent that money in local shops, cafes, etc. but no it got sucked up by the government. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Just did a quick search. While Argentina charges visa fee to US, it doesn't charge visa fee to UK though UK does charge visa fee to Argentina.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

This is pretty interesting, seems to be the start of a series. Ellen Page does a documentary about gay people in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnrAISE6x08#t=125.4215

The fujoshi :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2016, 03:17:41 PM
Just did a quick search. While Argentina charges visa fee to US, it doesn't charge visa fee to UK though UK does charge visa fee to Argentina.

That's wacky. You'd expect Argentina to like the UK even less than the US.

Zanza

It's mainly Americans, Canadians and Australians that have to pay visa fees in South America. It's not just Argentina but also Brazil, Chile and Bolivia, maybe others.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2016, 01:51:22 PMThey can do what they want and so can we, but the visa regime we have in place is needed to control migration.

The regime they have in place is just to stick it to the gringos.

Nah, the regime they have in place is to maintain the principle of reciprocity; or as BB puts it "tit-for-tat".

It would likely go away if there was enough of a constituency to have your government negotiate a different arrangement, but it seems that that constituency isn't worth catering to :(

Which was the entire point of what we were saying. It seems stupid and counter to their interests but if they want to do it no huge deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Zanza on March 08, 2016, 06:01:25 PM
It's mainly Americans, Canadians and Australians that have to pay visa fees in South America. It's not just Argentina but also Brazil, Chile and Bolivia, maybe others.

The Monroe Doctrine's dirty (4.5 hour) laundry. :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Savonarola

So GE Alstom has contracted with the local university to teach us the basics of System Engineering (the discipline behind running a large projects.)  I'm taking the first overview course right now, and some of my coworkers and I are working on the group project.  He gave us a Power Point template and encouraged us to put in a clever quote at the beginning.  I suggested one that I believe provides the perfect combination of industry and academia:

A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.

- Theodore Roosevelt

:bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

See : Crédit Mobilier ?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Savonarola on March 09, 2016, 04:21:26 PM
So GE Alstom has contracted with the local university to teach us the basics of System Engineering (the discipline behind running a large projects.)

Welcome to the club. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2016, 02:37:41 PM

I've been told it's to protect the environment and prevent smuggling.

I knew a Smuggler.  When I was a kid the old guy down the street was convicted of smuggling his wife to death with a pillow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

That's not smuggling, that's snuggling.  Though when performed correctly it should not result in the strangulation of your significant other.   :hmm: