News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

That's the problem with such an expensive suit.
You can't just wear it out and about. It would be the most expensive thing I own. A significant amount of my net worth. But literally just leaving it locked away defeats the point of having it.
The most expensive suit I have was bought in a sale, cost 80 pounds or so, too much.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Good Lord thank you for making me solidly middle class.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2014, 11:50:06 AM
You can't just wear it out and about. It would be the most expensive thing I own. A significant amount of my net worth. But literally just leaving it locked away defeats the point of having it.
The most expensive suit I have was bought in a sale, cost 80 pounds or so, too much.

You have to see it outside of your real personal situation. If you own a 2k$ suit, than it is not a significant part of your net worth.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 11:47:16 AM
$400.00?  They might as well have gave it to you.

For that brand, that is true.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 11:42:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 10:42:47 AM
Hey Malthus, Twitter recommended I follow your aunt.  Should I tweet her that we are good buds?  :P

I am sure she would be thinking 'who the hell is Malthus?'

That's easy. The guy who proposed that theory about population outstripping food supply, something of that sort.  :D

'Hi I am the good buddy of a guy who has been dead for 200 years.  Just thought you might want to know. #mytimemachineworks'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2014, 11:23:50 AMBut then I have been eyeing a messenger bag at Prada - but recognize how frivolous such a purchase would be. :blush:

I tend to like Salvatore Ferragamo when it comes to frivolously expensive man-bags.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 11:53:47 AM
You have to see it outside of your real personal situation.

This is Tyr you're talking to  :lol:

QuoteIf you own a 2k$ suit, than it is not a significant part of your net worth.

Exactly.

Malthus

Depends on what it is for. That expensive suit was a frivolity, for a wedding; some people however buy expensive suits for making an impression at work, at meetings and the like. For them, it's an investment in increasing their earning potential to the point where the suit isn't a major proportion of their worldly assets.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 11:44:55 AM
NY is the mecca of discount clothing shopping.  :lol:

So true! :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2014, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2014, 11:23:50 AMBut then I have been eyeing a messenger bag at Prada - but recognize how frivolous such a purchase would be. :blush:

I tend to like Salvatore Ferragamo when it comes to frivolously expensive man-bags.

I could see that. Not exactly my cup of tea.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

My car is the most expensive thing I own. I have never treated it like it is precious. :D -_-

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2014, 12:02:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 11:44:55 AM
NY is the mecca of discount clothing shopping.  :lol:

So true! :D

OTOH, you can walk down 5th and have a heart attack at the prices for luxury stuff. A purse for $20K?  :wacko:

derspiess

I kind of have that approach with buying sunglasses, though.  Won't dare buy an expensive pair, as I would lose or break them within a few weeks. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2014, 12:09:21 PM
I kind of have that approach with buying sunglasses, though.  Won't dare buy an expensive pair, as I would lose or break them within a few weeks.

Yeah, buying a 250$ pair of sunglasses just means that in 3 weeks I am going to have a 250$ broken pair of sunglasses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Heh, the normalization of gays in Toronto proceeds apace. Latest example: the Toronto Transit Commission has issued a special Gay Pride Parade family metropass - good for up to two adults and four children.

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Day_Pass/Pride_Toronto_Special_Event_Pass.jsp