The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 07:53:57 AM
I need to buy a suit.

Any advice? Can't say I've needed to do that since my graduation.

I hear short suit pants are in these days.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 08:41:46 AM
Weddings, 3 of them.

I thought you folks didn't do that any more.  :P

Anyway, the real issue is how much you are willing to spend.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Weddings, 3 of them.

All my friends are married now so none of these until all the kids start getting married.  I am thinking I have a good 15 years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I've only been to 2 weddings previously in my entire life. One was when I was 16.

This is a new development.

Only 1 of the weddings is by young people. One is my cousin's who's 40. The other is my GF's uncle who is 57(2nd wedding, his 1st wife died last july.)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 08:45:47 AM
Weddings, 3 of them.

I am going to wear it 3 times this summer and when ever someone dies until it breaks apart, so 200$?

The Brain

How many are gay? I don't think you can use the same suit for those.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

QuoteThe other is my GF's uncle who is 57(2nd wedding, his 1st wife died last july.)

It is interesting how every time some reasonably good quality old dude tragically loses his wife there is seemingly a line of women waiting to pounce.  They always seem to get married again within a few years.  I am not sure how to feel about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I wouldn't even label him good quality.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 09:09:40 AM
QuoteThe other is my GF's uncle who is 57(2nd wedding, his 1st wife died last july.)

It is interesting how every time some reasonably good quality old dude tragically loses his wife there is seemingly a line of women waiting to pounce.  They always seem to get married again within a few years.  I am not sure how to feel about that.

My uncle (who was also around that age at the time) almost immediately started dating his high school sweetheart (who was an awesome lady, heavy drinker/smoker and very entertaining) as soon as his first wife died.  Then when wife #2 passed away a couple years ago he got in contact with his other high school girlfriend, herself a widow.  They got married in Paris last year.  We're all wondering who he has lined up next.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 09:00:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 08:45:47 AM
Weddings, 3 of them.

I am going to wear it 3 times this summer and when ever someone dies until it breaks apart, so 200$?

Well, I was going to recommend Zegna, assuming you don't have a bespoke tailor lined up, but they may be a trifle out of your price range ...  ;)

http://store.zegna.com/gb/men/suits

Seriously, though - a $200 suit is fine. Just get one that isn't too fashion-forward, and they are all pretty good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 09:09:40 AM

Dudes have on average a shorter life-span, while at the same time, in our culture at least chicks have a shorter sexual shelf-life. The result is that old dudes are in high demand - there are a lot of desperate old ladies out there (and not-so-old).

Grey Fox

One day, I need to try a 2k$ suit. I wonder how different it feels.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 10:09:13 AM
One day, I need to try a 2k$ suit. I wonder how different it feels.

Heh, for my friend's wedding, the groom's family made the lot of us in the wedding party to get bespoke suits, which cost more than that.  :lol:

It's a very good suit, and the process of being fitted etc. was interesting. But it wasn't my preferred way to spend all that money. I wanted to make nice with the groom's family, so I spent it and did not kick up a fuss.