News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I like how the generic smiling LEGO figure in the "briefing room" picture immediately resembles Lt. Gorman. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2014, 03:41:46 AM
They don't list the tax here, either.  It is a bit of a pain.  At least on groceries it's not a big deal, since it's only 1%.  On restaurant food, if you forget, it can be kind of brutal--it's a 9% hospitality tax in Richland. :bleeding:
Here as in around your place or the us in general?
It sucks, I've only ever seen it at bulk buy shops, computer fairs and other similar business to business sales places
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah I think it's illegal here if you're selling to consumers. Though VAT's different than just a sales tax.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Here, it's always added at checkout. It's annoying but it will never change without a law.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on June 07, 2014, 05:13:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2014, 03:41:46 AM
They don't list the tax here, either.  It is a bit of a pain.  At least on groceries it's not a big deal, since it's only 1%.  On restaurant food, if you forget, it can be kind of brutal--it's a 9% hospitality tax in Richland. :bleeding:
Here as in around your place or the us in general?
It sucks, I've only ever seen it at bulk buy shops, computer fairs and other similar business to business sales places

Pretty much everywhere in the U.S.

Admiral Yi

The Swiss voted 3-1 not to create a $25/hour minwage.

Ideologue

Those fucking Nazi-loving scum.  I WANT TO SEE THE EXPERIMENT PLAY OUT.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 07, 2014, 07:04:18 AM
Here, it's always added at checkout. It's annoying but it will never change without a law.

I believe there are some places in the US where it is illegal to price things with the tax included.

mongers

OK, I think my local MP might be quite keen to highlight something, can you guess what it might be ?

:unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

No. :unsure:

Does he want to abolish the awful British practice of not saying "the hospital"?  Because that'd get my vote.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

If someone tries to assassinate David Cameron and misses, he may be to Cameron what Anton Cermak was to FDR.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Oh, it's Cameron?  I'd never seen a picture.  So that's what the worst prime minister Britain has had in a hundred years looks like: a fat-faced, balding James McAvoy.
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2014, 09:37:14 PM
Oh, it's Cameron?  I'd never seen a picture.  So that's what the worst prime minister Britain has had in a hundred years looks like: a fat-faced, balding James McAvoy.

Seriously? You've never seen a picture of Cameron?  :huh:

Look in the picture at the lower right. The guy on a bike without a helmet is Cameron. I assume the guy with a helmet behind him desperately leaning to get in the shot is mongers' mp.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Why would I have?  He's not my executive, and Paul Krugman doesn't put pictures in his posts, unless you count graphs.
Kinemalogue