News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Off to my exams now. I was more at ease before my German and Spanish exams, because I knew I couldn't speak neither German nor Spanish, this time I've actually made an effort though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2013, 01:46:48 AM
FFS I wanted to be nice, didn't know you primitives skip the "E" when you rate shit :P

I got a 2. On a scale where 5 is best and 1 means you failed. There.
We're not primitives, we just have standards.  If you're not good enough for a D, you're not good enough to pass.  :mad:

Iormlund

Quote from: merithyn on June 10, 2013, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2013, 08:17:52 PM
:hmm: I don't think you're going to like the algorithm complexity class.

I don't have to take it. :)

Part of why I'm taking this certificate instead of dealing with the whole degree thing. Saves me from having to take all the math.

I guess OOP is in the curriculum. Are pointers? I'm curious because C++ seems an odd choice for a teaching language.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2013, 06:28:55 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 10, 2013, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2013, 08:17:52 PM
:hmm: I don't think you're going to like the algorithm complexity class.

I don't have to take it. :)

Part of why I'm taking this certificate instead of dealing with the whole degree thing. Saves me from having to take all the math.

I guess OOP is in the curriculum. Are pointers? I'm curious because C++ seems an odd choice for a teaching language.
All my computer science courses, and even a high school class, were in C++, even before getting to object-oriented programming.  It does seem like an overly cumbersome language for learning, but it's commonly used for that purpose nonetheless.

garbon

Whatever the intro class was that I took, it was in Java. Next level was then in C++.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I learned a bit of Pascal as intro in that 2-years school. Later some Java and C in college.

Liep

A B in my Russian exam. Huzzah!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2013, 07:37:09 AM

AB?  Is that like an E?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Why do you not have an E BTW? It makes no fucking sense.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2013, 06:42:56 AM
Whatever the intro class was that I took, it was in Java. Next level was then in C++.

I'll be taking Java in the fall.

Languages that I'm required to take for the two certificates that I'm after include:

Visual Basic
C++
Java
ASP.NET with C#
Perl

After that, I'd like to look into some of the Database stuff, like SQL, but that's down the line a bit.

Edit: Iorm, I'm taking two certifications. One in Web Programming and another in Object-Oriented Programming.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2013, 07:48:48 AM

The letters correspond with a percentage.

A - 90-100%
B - 80-90%
C - 70-80%
D - 60 - 70%
F - FAIL

Basically, anything lower than a 60% is a failing grade.

Liep

Quote from: PDH on June 11, 2013, 07:42:52 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2013, 07:37:09 AM

AB?  Is that like an E?

A B is not an E, but a 10. And to put it so Josephus can understand, somewhere between 80 and 90%. Apparently my pronunciation of the letters з, ш, щ, and ж needs working on.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2013, 07:48:48 AM

I think I read an explanation a long time ago that E could be confused with Excellent.  Or maybe they only wanted five positions, and skipped E because F suggests Fail.

Otherwise, it is a mystery.

But still there don't seem to be many countries that use E.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2013, 08:24:01 AM
I think I read an explanation a long time ago that E could be confused with Excellent.  Or maybe they only wanted five positions, and skipped E because F suggests Fail.

Otherwise, it is a mystery.

But still there don't seem to be many countries that use E.

There was a time in the 90s and 00s where grades were changed to: E, S, N, F

E - Excellent
S - Satisfactory
N - Needs Improvement
F - Fail

Thankfully, we got away from that.