News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

:lol: How true.

Quote(Newser) – New York police have been accused of stopping people simply to fill quotas—but that's silly, officers say: They're far too lazy for that kind of effort. Some 10% of cops "are complete malcontents that will do as little as possible no matter how well you treat them," says a former top officer. They won't work hard unless they're getting paid overtime, he tells the court in the department's stop-and-frisk trial; that's when tickets get written up.

"I think we're charged with trying to get the police officers to work, do the things that they're getting paid for," says a deputy commissioner. A deputy inspector, meanwhile, went so far as to play a secret tape to the court of a sergeant chastising his team for lack of effort, the New York Times reports. The trial has examined a police policy that says, "Department managers can and must set performance goals." Asked how he interpreted the policy, one officer replied: "It says, quota, quota, quota, quota, and quota." Click for the full piece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/nyregion/to-defend-police-city-cites-officers-laziness.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=nyregion&;
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

No kidding.  The public myths about cops are second only to the myths surrounding the government's ability of black helicopters to spy on you.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
No kidding.  The public myths about cops are second only to the myths surrounding the government's ability of black helicopters to spy on you.

I blame hollywood and tv for that myth.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Cops are all rainbows and sunshine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

So they're all just lazy, lovable teddy bears, then?

SORRY FOR LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW, SIR

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 11:14:22 AM

That was:

1) overtime,
2) a chance to play with their tactical toys for once,
3) the potential to actually shoot somebody, even if it's a fellow officer by accident.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 11:22:59 AM
That was:

1) overtime,
2) a chance to play with their tactical toys for once,
3) the potential to actually shoot somebody, even if it's a fellow officer by accident.

:D 

lustindarkness

Not a myth if the black helicopters are in fact following me. (and the drones, and the black SUVs, and that guy in the black suit, and the phone tap, and...

*click*
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josephus

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 11:14:22 AM

SORRY FOR LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW, SIR

Those are cops? What police state country is that? Russia? China? ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: Josephus on April 30, 2013, 01:02:12 PM
Those are cops? What police state country is that? Russia?

Not drunk enough.

QuoteChina? ;)

Nope, way too fat.

Barrister

Here's our new $5 and $10 bills:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.