News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on March 09, 2013, 10:14:05 AM
Sprint in Cincinnati. Used to be awesome service but it has degraded a bit and my bill keeps going up. Only thing they've still got going for them is unlimited data.

Sprint's pretty rotten.  At myy new place--about a half mile from downtown Columbia, and an affluent middle class neighborhood with pretty high population density and lots of businesses, definitely not in the boonies somewhere--service works maybe 10% of the time (including the time I was here checking it out).  I think it has something to do with the terrain more than the location, but it's really crap.

Also, no 4G in Columbia at all.  Unlimited data in theory is great but when it's actually highly limited by the system in practice one can't help but feel a little ripped off.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Just thought I'd check the origin and different meanings of a word, was just about to click in the google box to search for it, when I thought no, so I half stood up and reach 4 feet to one of the dictionaries on the nearest bookcase ! :gasp:

That's not happened in several years, how the old ways died.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

That's good.  Proper diction is important when sending a telegram.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2013, 08:17:23 PM

By auto gyro to Siam.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2013, 08:18:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2013, 08:17:23 PM

By auto gyro to Siam.

One of the pioneers of autogyros is still flying, an RAF wing commander who did the stunts in the James Bond film.    :bowler:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 09, 2013, 10:14:05 AM
Used to be awesome service but it has degraded a bit and my bill keeps going up.

I certainly hope you're not surprised in the least about that.

mongers

Why does cellphone services so often suck in the US ?

Generally I have a signal wherever I go in the country, saving one or two places, usually below the big high voltage powerlines. 

My current provider seems to charge me about 6c a call, no contract. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 09, 2013, 08:55:42 PM

Big country.  Difficult to daisy chain cell towers, particularly in rural areas;  hell, even urban areas it's tough.  Lots of blind spots.

PDH

Places like Wyoming are just big empties.  The only really reliable tower coverage outside of towns here is along the interstates.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2013, 09:01:35 PM

Big country.

Indeed.  Your dreams may stay with you, like a lover's voice, but bars, not so much.
Kinemalogue

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2013, 09:01:35 PM

Big country.  Difficult to daisy chain cell towers, particularly in rural areas;  hell, even urban areas it's tough.  Lots of blind spots.

No doubt.

I wonder if CDMA vs GSM plays a role in this issue ?