News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

That fucking sucks.

I looked up the VMA-211 wiki, didn't know they were the Wake Island Avengers.  Hell of a story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMA-211

In November 1941, VMF-211 flew 12 of its 24 Wildcats and 13 of its 29 pilots aboard the USS Enterprise for movement to Wake Island, the scene of the squadron's heroic battle. On December 8, 1941 the Japanese attacked, destroying seven of the 12 aircraft on the ground. In the next two weeks, the remaining five planes repelled numerous attacks and inflicted great losses on the enemy. During the course of the defense, the Marine ground forces and VMF-211 caused the loss of at least four enemy warships, the first major Japanese naval vessels sunk during the Pacific war, and the squadron was credited with 8 aircraft destroyed. After the loss of its last aircraft, the squadron became a ground unit and fought until the surrender of atoll. The first Marine airman to be awarded the Medal of Honor in World War II was VMF-211's Henry T. Elrod.

Ed Anger

They can add a burning koran to their patch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Also, Timmy will make a thread about it. If he can get off his lazy ass and find a link to it.

Which is one reason I gave no links. Just say NO to Timmy enabling.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Shit, I was going to post a thread about this, what with all the stupid stuff about Prince Harry being 'targetted' and the Taliban being largely ineffectual in these raids.

What prompted my interest, was I've been reading about the Vietnam war and the VC/NVA seemed a lot more 'professional' in targetting of their  rocket and mortar attacks on airbases/military installations.

But maybe the Taliban are learning ?

The Aviationist has these updates:

http://theaviationist.com/2012/09/16/vma-211/

http://theaviationist.com/2012/09/17/vma-211-commander/

And in the above comment section someone has posted this link, that does give some food for thought:

http://youtu.be/p9lZB7Jrl-U
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 02:14:07 PM
Santorum said that conservatives will never have smart people on their side. :XD:

Now what provoked him to say that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2012, 07:11:44 PM
Santorum said that conservatives will never have smart people on their side. :XD:

Now what provoked him to say that?

Populist, anti-elitism.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

That suit I ordered arrived today, and it is much darker than it appeared in the picture on their site.  Then again, it's a color that works nicely for me anyway, and it seems like once it gets tailored and all it's going to be very nice, so whatever.

Keep that in mind though if you're ordering clearance stuff from the Jos A Bank website.  The image might not quite match up with what is coming in the mail.

Eddie Teach

Easier to pass a camel through the eye of the needle than for an egghead to get to heaven. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 17, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
That suit I ordered arrived today, and it is much darker than it appeared in the picture on their site.  Then again, it's a color that works nicely for me anyway, and it seems like once it gets tailored and all it's going to be very nice, so whatever.

Keep that in mind though if you're ordering clearance stuff from the Jos A Bank website.  The image might not quite match up with what is coming in the mail.

Link that suit, if you can.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2012, 10:07:44 PM
Link that suit, if you can.

I can link a jacket that is in the color I ordered, but the exact thing doesn't seem to be there anymore:  http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_102514  I ordered it with the intention of getting something a little lighter than usual, in a "different" but not crazy color, you know? 

This is what came in the mail (it looks like that exact one, actually): http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_102125 

You can see why I was all :huh:/ :blink: about it.  Never had anything in either of these colors, only the standard charcoal and navy type stuff, but the second one is really....well different.  I'm back to hmming and hawing over it right now.  I've got the thing hanging on the folded up treadmill next to me and I'm just looking at it.   As I said, I can apparently pull it off, at least at first glance, but.....:hmm: 

E:  And you know, when I ordered it, I actually said "That doesn't look to be that olive," or something similar. 

CountDeMoney

Huh.  Yeah, that's a bit of a difference  :lol:

Run it past a chick in your life before you return it, see what she thinks.  That will tell you where you stand with it.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2012, 10:34:40 PM
Huh.  Yeah, that's a bit of a difference  :lol:

Run it past a chick in your life before you return it, see what she thinks.  That will tell you where you stand with it.

Yeah, just did that.  Put the whole thing on with a white shirt + gold tie:  The wife likes it quite a bit, so I guess it stays.  :)

Josquius

Anyone happen to remember their maths?
I'm trying to calculate something- a test with a possible total score of 180, 100 needed to pass, all the questions are 4-option multiple choice.
What would be the probability of passing assuming its complete chance and the person is just guessing every one?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2012, 11:11:26 PM
Anyone happen to remember their maths?
I'm trying to calculate something- a test with a possible total score of 180, 100 needed to pass, all the questions are 4-option multiple choice.
What would be the probability of passing assuming its complete chance and the person is just guessing every one?
If every question is worth one point, then it's so close to zero that you'll need a supercomputer to tell the exact distance from zero.

Josquius

Really?
I guessed it would be surprisingly high (still small but within the realms of human thinking). Can't figure out how to work it out though considering all the possible combinations.
And I've no clue what  4.25796e-109 even means in real numbers.
Ah maths. How I have totally forgotten thee.
██████
██████
██████