News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Tamas you started the 1000th page.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on March 28, 2012, 06:14:30 AM
Tamas you started the 1000th page.

You should go delete an old post and then you'll have started it.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

I've had jet lag before, but this time it has been terrible. I got back Sunday evening, and still have not fallen back in rhythm.   :yawn:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2012, 10:28:03 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 27, 2012, 10:21:30 AM
An administrative court in Germany just allowed the police to do racial profiling based on skin color when they do random identity checks on trains.

That's an interesting topic.

If the statistics say, that a particular ethnicity has a disproportionate part in certain crimes, shouldn't the police be able to utilize that satistic to raise efficiency?
Yes, the reason for this disproportionate representation is iffy, and should be remedied by society, but it is not the police's job to engage in social engineering.

Are you kidding me with this crap?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 07:56:42 AM
An administrative court in Germany just allowed the police to do racial profiling based on skin color when they do random identity checks on trains.

If the statistics say, that a particular ethnicity has a disproportionate part in certain crimes, shouldn't the police be able to utilize that satistic to raise efficiency?
Yes, the reason for this disproportionate representation is iffy, and should be remedied by society, but it is not the police's job to engage in social engineering.

If it is a statistical fact that purple people commit more pickpocketing than magenta people, doesn't it makes logical sense to protect your purse better while being near purple people? You are not making any judgements, you are just accepting a fact of life. It may very well be the fault of magenta people that the statistics come up as such, it may very well be because of unfair arresting and sentencing methods which result in these statistics, but you as an individual can only make an informed decision by relying on these.

In the actual German example, if I understand correctly, they were hunting for illegal immigrants. Doesn't it makes perfect sense to use racial profiling to increase efficiency in that case.

I am saying this while being very easily convincable that the German police in general is racist, based on a few encounters I witnessed.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2012, 08:44:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 07:56:42 AM

If it is a statistical fact that purple people commit more pickpocketing than magenta people, doesn't it makes logical sense to protect your purse better while being near purple people? You are not making any judgements, you are just accepting a fact of life. It may very well be the fault of magenta people that the statistics come up as such, it may very well be because of unfair arresting and sentencing methods which result in these statistics, but you as an individual can only make an informed decision by relying on these.

In the actual German example, if I understand correctly, they were hunting for illegal immigrants. Doesn't it makes perfect sense to use racial profiling to increase efficiency in that case.

I am saying this while being very easily convincable that the German police in general is racist, based on a few encounters I witnessed.

Here's a factsheet for you:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2003/June/racial_profiling_fact_sheet.pdf

And some reasons why racial profiling is a bad idea:

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/lawenforcementterrorism/tp/Against-Racial-Profiling.htm
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

but it's different with whatever minority is bad!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on March 28, 2012, 12:12:46 PM
but it's different with whatever minority is bad!

Maybe he was just being edgy.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 11:32:10 AM

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/lawenforcementterrorism/tp/Against-Racial-Profiling.htm
Effectiveness and desirability from the social point of view are two very different questions.  Racial profiling may lead to more effective policing, but it may be so damaging to the social fabric that this increased effectiveness will not be worth it.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2012, 12:36:53 PM

Effectiveness and desirability from the social point of view are two very different questions.  Racial profiling may lead to more effective policing, but it may be so damaging to the social fabric that this increased effectiveness will not be worth it.

I take it you didn't actually look at those links.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 12:49:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2012, 12:36:53 PM

I take it you didn't actually look at those links.
Both those links stressed the unacceptable nature of it.  Besides, we're not talking about pulling over drivers on the highway in hopes of scoring some drugs, we're talking about looking for illegal immigrants.  The correlation between appearance and likelihood of being one is a little more obvious in that case.

The Brain

Sweden sent plutonium to Amerikkka. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.