News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 06:59:00 PM
Here are the questions (actually they're statements that you either agree or disagree with):

1. Restrictions on housing development make housing less affordable.- dunno

2. Mandatory licensing of professional services increases the prices of those services.- agree

3. Overall, the standard of living is higher today than it was 30 years ago.- agree

4. Rent control leads to housing shortages.- dunno

5. A company with the largest market share is a monopoly.- disagree

6. Third World workers working for American companies overseas are being exploited.- matter of perspective

7. Free trade leads to unemployment.- neutral

8. Minimum wage laws raise unemployment.- possibly

9. A dollar means more to a poor person than it does to a rich person.- agree

10. Making abortions illegal would increase the number of black-market abortions.- agree

11. Legalizing drugs would give more wealth and power to street gangs and organized crime.- disagree

12. Drug prohibition fails to reduce people's access to drugs.- disagree. I for one have no idea where I could get illegal drugs.

13. Gun control laws fail to reduce people's access to guns.- disagree.

14. By participating in the marketplace in the United States, immigrants reduce the economic well-being of American citizens.- in general disagree, though exceptions will exist

15. When two people complete a voluntary transaction, they both necessarily come off better.- disagree

16. When two people complete a voluntary transaction, it is necessarily the case that everyone else is unaffected by their transaction.- disagree
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 06:46:46 PMExactly.  He found out everyone is crap.  He was hoping and expecting that the right would do better on the corrected test.  He learned something he didn't know before.

This argument is really bizarre.  It's as if some physicist proved two competing theories incorrect and you all jumped on him for taking the middle ground for the middle ground's sake.
Politics isn't like physics.  It's not a science.  I find the application of right and wrong to it kind of weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2011, 07:20:05 PM
Politics isn't like physics.  It's not a science.  I find the application of right and wrong to it kind of weird.

His questions weren't about preferences, they were about cause and effect.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 07:23:14 PMHis questions weren't about preferences, they were about cause and effect.
To be honest though those questions look more like a quiz than anything revealing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2011, 07:40:58 PM
To be honest though those questions look more like a quiz than anything revealing.

It is a quiz, and the questions are not at all anything revealing.

What the author of the article thought revealing was the relationship between the quiz-takers self proclaimed political philosophy and the number of incorrect response.

Razgovory

Some of these are somewhat contested.

Take for instance:  "Legalizing drugs would give more wealth and power to street gangs and organized crime", This question is very vague.   There lots of legal drugs.  For instance, Oxycontin is legal, and yet some people still sell it on the street.  Presumably some people are making money from doing so.  With harder drugs I'm not sure there's any evidence one way or the other.  Are there scientific studies done on communities that legalize heroin and the effect it has the local organize crime syndicate?  It would be rather hard to do that I think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2011, 09:24:25 AM
My unread pile is over 100.

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2011, 09:28:06 AMI have something like a dozen on mine.  I need to get on the stick.

Quote from: Josephus on November 11, 2011, 09:38:31 AMCouple years ago I made a new year's resolution that I wouldn't buy any more books until my unread pile is under 20. It's now sitting at around 35. :mad:

Amateurs. :P  My wife has 1586 unread books in her library.

Razgovory

Where does she keep the ones she's read?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Romance novels doesn't count.  :P
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Looks like Occupy Denver under their fuhrer dog is being taken down tonight.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

My timing is hilariously bad. Let out a huge fart in bed....just as the friend who had been sleeping over was walking past my bedroom to leave the flat. Woops, heh.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Eddie Teach

Still, that's like 15 years backlog.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2011, 11:23:33 PM
Still, that's like 15 years backlog.

Quote from: My wife
You can take dictation: bite me!