Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I've been shown a lot of headstone adverts :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

A few years ago I watched a YouTube video about k-pop suicides and got inundated with Korean content. On the plus side I discover I actually like Korean variety shows.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 16, 2024, 10:56:58 AMA few years ago I watched a YouTube video about k-pop suicides and got inundated with Korean content. On the plus side I discover I actually like Korean variety shows.

Yeah that can be the thing about the YouTube algorithm - it can totally work.  You watch one video, then get sucked down a whole rabbit-hole of related content.

But it can also be annoying.  What I notice in particular is it doesn't give you the type of content you watched maybe a few months ago, but not recently.  I'm still the same person and would probably enjoy that content again YouTube if you'd just show it to me...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

https://eu.statesman.com/story/news/politics/state/2024/05/16/daniel-perry-pardon-recommended-garrett-foster/73719220007/

QuoteGov. Abbott pardons Daniel Perry immediately after Texas parole board recommendation
SERENA LIN ,  TONY PLOHETSKI   Austin American-Statesman
50 minutes ago

Gov. Greg Abbott on Thursday granted a full pardon to Daniel Perry, who was convicted of murder for the 2020 death of a Black Lives Matter protester in downtown Austin, immediately after a unanimous recommendation from the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles.

In a series of rapid developments, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said in a statement that was working "expeditiously to release Daniel Perry." An exact timeline remained unclear, however. Perry is housed in the Mac Stringfellow Unit in Rosharon, about 30 miles south of downtown Houston.

Perry may also be able to apply to have his record expunged, according to TDCJ.

The board announced its recommendation to pardon Perry and restore his firearm rights in a statement posted on its website on Thursday. Its decision came after a "meticulous review of pertinent documents, from police reports to court records, witness statements, and interviews with individuals linked to the case," the statement said.

In July 2020, Perry shot and killed Garrett Foster after driving into a racial justice protest on Congress Avenue. Perry claimed that he shot Foster, who was carrying an AK-47 rifle, in self-defense. During Perry's trial last year, prosecutors argued that Perry had sought out confrontation.

"Texas has one of the strongest 'Stand Your Ground' laws of self-defense that cannot be nullified by a jury or a progressive District Attorney," Abbott said in a statement Thursday. "I thank the Board for its thorough investigation, and I approve their pardon recommendation."

Less than 24 hours after a jury in April 2023 found Perry guilty of murder, Abbott said on social media that he would approve a pardon if one were recommended by the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. The announcement came after prominent conservative figures called on him to undo Perry's conviction.

Shortly after Abbott's announcement, a state district judge unsealed court records that contained Perry's previously unreleased messages and social media posts, which contained racist rhetoric.

Doug O'Connell, who represents Perry, declined to comment Thursday, saying that he was awaiting any action from Abbott.

Attorney Angelica Cogliano, who represents Foster's girlfriend, Whitney Mitchell, said she and her client had no immediate comment.

Mitchell told the Statesman in February, upon learning that the board was considering the pardon: "I feel like everything was put out there, the evidence, everything we went through and all I can say is it is devastating and just brings it up all over again."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

If Texas has such a strong "stand your ground" law then why was the guy convicted, huh?

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2024, 03:47:04 PMIf Texas has such a strong "stand your ground" law then why was the guy convicted, huh?

Progressive District Attorneys :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2024, 03:56:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2024, 03:47:04 PMIf Texas has such a strong "stand your ground" law then why was the guy convicted, huh?

Progressive District Attorneys :(

Try as hard as I might, but juries don't just do what I tell them. :(

Jacob

I wonder how long before the US sees vigilante killings of people like Daniel Perry.

DGuller

I wonder how long before we have pardon-backed death squads.

Grey Fox

The 1st Eric Trump presidency.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

I am intrigued by the idea that carrying around a gun makes you fair game to be shot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2024, 05:46:54 PMI wonder how long before we have pardon-backed death squads.

Seems like you have them now.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2024, 09:00:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2024, 05:46:54 PMI wonder how long before we have pardon-backed death squads.

Seems like you have them now.

They're called LAPD, I think. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

We just found out The Last of Us is filming on our street and the adjoining parkland.  Mrs.  CC is disappointed at missing the chance to meet/see Pascal. But we are not leaving our vacation.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2024, 07:43:33 PMI am intrigued by the idea that carrying around a gun makes you fair game to be shot.

Only black men are vulnerable to that.  Because of genetics, they are incapable of standing their ground.  Or something.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!