News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on February 15, 2024, 06:12:07 PMYeah, finger always rhymes with singer

Maybe I'm describing it poorly (or the difference is subtle?) - but I've never heard any Canadian (including in Toronto) pronounce "finger" the way I'm describing or to rhyme exactly with singer; there's a slightly different emphasis/lack of emphasis on the G, at least to my ears.

It's probably too hard to convey in text, but if we ever meet face to face we'll sort it out in conversation :lol:

Sheilbh

I get what you mean I think singer is sometimes pronounced with a less pronounced g the ng rolls more.

But I searched because I pronounce them the same - and in the UK looks like it's a regional difference (and from the North-West it's the same):
https://www.ourdialects.uk/maps/singer-finger/
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2024, 07:49:31 PMI get what you mean I think singer is sometimes pronounced with a less pronounced g the ng rolls more.

But I searched because I pronounce them the same - and in the UK looks like it's a regional difference (and from the North-West it's the same):
https://www.ourdialects.uk/maps/singer-finger/

Wild.

If you're all agreeing, I guess there must be something to it.

This is definitely going to be a feature of any face to face meetup I'm part of from here on out (if any).

Jacob

Okay so I went and looked at youtube videos from the search "how to pronounce singer" and "how to pronounce finger".

I'm used to hearing singer pronounced in the correct way according to this video:

I'm also used to hearing finger pronounced in the correct way according to this video (and no, the two "say this" pronunciations do not rhyme perfectly):

... however, recently I've started hearing finger pronounced the wrong way (according to this video), enough that it feels like it's a thing. I'm wondering if it's a genuine dialect thing within American English, or just some random foibles I've noticed.

DGuller

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on February 15, 2024, 03:56:41 PMThis has to be a joke, right?  Who feels the need to carry a gun to shoot book agents?

I am glad at least that Tim survived.  :)

Jacob

So Josephus and HVC - referencing the videos I linked, how do you pronounce "singer" and "finger"?

Do you

1) Pronounce both words the correct way (according to the woman) and think they rhyme?

2) Pronounce singer wrong (according to the woman - that is, closer to the UK pronunciation) to rhyme with the correct pronunciation of finger?

3) Pronounce finger wrong (according to the woman) (which is the case that is new and weird to me)?

HVC

Singer "wrong", finger "right". Don't think I ever heard anyone say singer "right", but maybe just never noticed. When she says singer it sounds weird somehow
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Grey Fox

Eurovision 2024 is fast approaching & some national finals have happened.

So far, I am not impressed.

Finland & Estonia are the only interesting songs so far, altho I've kept myself from being spoiled on other countries.

France song is as usual, bad. I've went thru all the France songs on the Eurovision youtube and none of them has ever been any good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

So Turkey is building a 5th generation fighter, and it apparently had its first flight recently.

Anyone up on those news?

Sheilbh

On the death of David Irving this from Dinah Rose, who's President of Magdalen College at Oxford and one of the country's leading barristers, is extraordinary :lol: I had no idea:
QuoteDinah Rose
@DinahGLRoseKC
My husband was in court, watching the libel trial Irving disastrously pursued against Penguin and Deborah Lipstadt, when, in one of the greatest Freudian slips of all time, he accidentally addressed the judge as Mein Fuehrer.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 21, 2024, 12:49:12 PMSo Turkey is building a 5th generation fighter, and it apparently had its first flight recently.

Anyone up on those news?

What they flew was a prototype of the KAAN, which is not a 5th Generation fighter, though they hope to upgrade it to 5th Generation over the next ten years or so.  Right now, they cannot even build the engine for it.

However, it looks like exactly the sort of project the Turks have developed into great export sales:  not cutting edge, but affordable and capable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!