News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2022, 10:59:45 AMMan, I had the wildest Friday night. I went back and started reading the Canadian politics thread from the beginning....

You party animal, you. :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2022, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2022, 11:06:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2022, 07:48:14 AMScariest dream I had as when I was 4 or 5. Remember it to this day. I was a super hero in a team of superhero's and we were attacking a villain whose power was to freeze people in place. I woke up to a bought of sleep paralysis after being attacked in the dream. Scared the crap out of me.

I used to have it off and on since I was a little kid. Haven't had one in at least 5 years. I also used to have lucid dreams frequently, but those stopped around the same time.

When did people here stop having flying/floating dreams?

I used to have a lot of sleep paralysis episodes when I was in my 20s - it was fucking terrifying indeed. They just went away.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Once in a while.  Used to have them much more frequently.

One very pronounced trend is I used to fly super hero style but then more and more I would just sort of float on my back, and I couldn't control it, and I felt ridiculous.

Never scary though.  Either super cool or neutral.

Josquius

I pretty much never get flying though will often get wuxia style floaty physics.

Then I realise I don't know how I have these powers and they fail and I look dumb.

Can't say I've ever had scary falling dreams either though I've definitely had those where I've pushed myself up in my sleep and actually physically drop waking myself up with a start.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2022, 11:35:03 AMOh, do tell Grumbler, what evidence is there that wealth inequality is not increasing.  What evidence do you have that the pain staking analysis conducted by academics who have studied this is in fact wrong.

I don't believe that you will find any evidence that wealth inequality is not increasing.  Why do you think that you or I can find such evidence?  :hmm:

I also don't believe that you will find any evidence that the pain staking analysis conducted by academics who have studied this is in fact wrong.  Why do you think that you or I can find such evidence?  :hmm:

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2022, 03:57:25 PMOnce in a while.  Used to have them much more frequently.

One very pronounced trend is I used to fly super hero style but then more and more I would just sort of float on my back, and I couldn't control it, and I felt ridiculous.

Never scary though.  Either super cool or neutral.

Yes that's my experience, don't have them at all now, that last lot I had were similar to your in no longer flying, just floating, though iirc still controlled just floating a couple of inches off the ground.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I went to a fancy restaurant today.
The first course was served on a stone.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Nothing wrong with sushi on a block of wood.

Nothing wrong with fajitas in a big frying pan.

Josquius

Why is it pretty much every country with a military has a seperate air force?
Seems strange to me considering how  air forces developed there wouldn't be some who still think it being part of the army or navy is way to go. I've seen several organising this should be the way in the US /UK.
The only major exception that comes to mind is China but then its the same for the navy there.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on March 20, 2022, 12:50:59 PMWhy is it pretty much every country with a military has a seperate air force?
Seems strange to me considering how  air forces developed there wouldn't be some who still think it being part of the army or navy is way to go. I've seen several organising this should be the way in the US /UK.
The only major exception that comes to mind is China but then its the same for the navy there.

In China they call what the UK calls "the Ministry of Defense" the "People's Liberation Army."  The actual army element of the PLA are the PLA Ground Forces.  Air, Rocket, Navy, and Cyber/Space are all separate services from the PLAGF.  The Canadians probably came closest in modern times to integrating the branches of their military, but even they backed off.

The argument for an independent air force has usually centered around the idea that air power could, by itself, win wars.  You saw that in the UK in the vastly disproportionate expenditure of effort on Bomber Command in WW2.   In the US, that bias is still very strong, at least among the senior Chair Force officers.

The US actually has three "air forces."  The USAF, which does it's thing, the US Army's helicopter force, and the USN Nay's Navy and Marine Corps aviation, which are direct support forces.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2022, 04:13:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2022, 11:35:03 AMOh, do tell Grumbler, what evidence is there that wealth inequality is not increasing.  What evidence do you have that the pain staking analysis conducted by academics who have studied this is in fact wrong.

I don't believe that you will find any evidence that wealth inequality is not increasing.  Why do you think that you or I can find such evidence?  :hmm:

I also don't believe that you will find any evidence that the pain staking analysis conducted by academics who have studied this is in fact wrong.  Why do you think that you or I can find such evidence?  :hmm:

Grumbles, my whole point is that wealth inequality is increasing and that people like Yi who support the status quo throw up pedantic arguments which deflect from the real issue.

You intelligent enough to realize that fact - so I assume you are just being an ass. 

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2022, 01:41:54 PMIn China they call what the UK calls "the Ministry of Defense" the "People's Liberation Army."  The actual army element of the PLA are the PLA Ground Forces.  Air, Rocket, Navy, and Cyber/Space are all separate services from the PLAGF.  The Canadians probably came closest in modern times to integrating the branches of their military, but even they backed off.

My understanding is after forming the unified Canadian Forces back in the 60s, by the 80s-90s they had brought back individual names, uniforms and ranks for the Army, RCN and RCAF - but that the command structure is still unified.

15-20 years ago I looked into becoming a JAG officer.  Just as one example, as a JAG officer you could sign up under any of the three - but it would have almost nothing to do with where you'd be posted.  A RCAF JAG could be posted at sea, for example.  That's kind of a more extreme example.

Or as another example, we don't have separate Army, RCN or RCAF bases - they are all CFBs - Canadian Forces Base.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Heh I knew an associate at my firm who became a JAG. Gave up a very promising Bay Street legal career for a career in the military.

In financial terms, a disastrous choice, even taking into account the benefits, but it was something she always wanted to do - she came from a military family background. She wanted the adventure aspect.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

The chick in JAG was hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.