Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2022, 04:14:35 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2022, 03:20:48 AM
Thankfully garbon never got drafted.

Not understanding why one would be sad for dead vermin = someone with a murder boner?
If you had empathy, you'd understand.  :goodboy:

Sheilbh

That's probably more accurate than the self-reported class where I think over 60% identify as working class (and that's more or less unchanged since 1980).

Edit: And I'm apparently 39.5% WC, 38.6% MC and 21.9% UC :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2022, 09:42:23 AM
https://www.newstatesman.com/society/2022/01/quiz-which-class-are-you-according-to-the-great-british-public

QuoteQUIZ: Which class are you, according to the Great British public?

Take the New Statesman quiz to find out whether you're working class, middle class or upper class in the eyes of voters.

The British public's idea of what makes up social class is complicated. Does a high income make you upper class – or is it to do with your parents' wealth? What about lifestyle – what does where you shop, or whether you pay for private health insurance, say about your class?

The New Statesman recently commissioned exclusive polling from Redfield & Wilton Strategies, which ran a list of crude "class markers" past a representative sample of the British public.

For a bit of fun, the New Statesman data team thought we would turn these polling results into a quiz.

We only included questions about people's lifestyles, excluding what respondents said different careers tell them about social class. We then weighed each answer based on the proportion of people in the survey who associated each activity with each class.

So how well can the British public judge your class given only the following information?

:hmm:

I got 48.9% working class. I'd certainly consider myself middle class, but I guess the British public may think otherwise  :P

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2022, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2022, 04:14:35 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2022, 03:20:48 AM
Thankfully garbon never got drafted.

Not understanding why one would be sad for dead vermin = someone with a murder boner?
If you had empathy, you'd understand.  :goodboy:

That was a question. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on January 20, 2022, 05:41:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2022, 12:08:44 PM
The ground worker is doing drains as well.
I've no idea exactly what he'll be doing, maybe there will be a layer of stones first, though definitely not 40cm.
Its just a single story, 2 meters out from my house, so doesn't need to support a huge amount of weight. All OK according to building control.

Interesting. Will you build on a concrete slab or what will be inside the foundation? Shouldn't the earth/clay be dug away?
Dug away to where? Until bedrock?
I at first dug a certain depth but building inspector said it wasn't enough and made me go 90cm from the nearby lawn rather than the house.
The colour of the clay changed at that depth to this bluer stuff which seems better for building.
Concrete will be poured directly on this clay I gather up to a certain depth, then it'll be some foundation slabs and then brick and block.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2022, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: Threviel on January 20, 2022, 05:41:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2022, 12:08:44 PM
The ground worker is doing drains as well.
I've no idea exactly what he'll be doing, maybe there will be a layer of stones first, though definitely not 40cm.
Its just a single story, 2 meters out from my house, so doesn't need to support a huge amount of weight. All OK according to building control.

Interesting. Will you build on a concrete slab or what will be inside the foundation? Shouldn't the earth/clay be dug away?
Dug away to where? Until bedrock?
I at first dug a certain depth but building inspector said it wasn't enough and made me go 90cm from the nearby lawn rather than the house.
The colour of the clay changed at that depth to this bluer stuff which seems better for building.
Concrete will be poured directly on this clay I gather up to a certain depth, then it'll be some foundation slabs and then brick and block.

https://youtu.be/aNaXdLWt17A?t=24

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

It put me firmly in the middle class - I don't spend much on myself so I think I avoided detection - let's hope my luck holds when the revolution comes.

Josquius

Working class. Obviously. Though was interesting to play with it and see which would switch me to middle class.
As said when I posted the original article only my definition is correct and theirs is wrong. :p

Tamas- the part of town where I live in its natural pre urban state was a swamp :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2022, 03:07:18 PM
Working class. Obviously. Though was interesting to play with it and see which would switch me to middle class.
As said when I posted the original article only my definition is correct and theirs is wrong. :p

Tamas- the part of town where I live in is temporarily a drained swamp /floodplain :ph34r:

YFP.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2022, 04:16:56 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2022, 03:07:18 PM

Tamas- the part of town where I live in is temporarily a drained swamp /floodplain :ph34r:

YFP.

Nah, it's not a flood plain. It has been drained for a very long time.
Come rising sea levels it's pretty high on the to be fucked list but it doesn't get any flooding problems. It is still pretty high above the Tyne.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Apparently, the Kurz government at one point authorized spending 150,000 on a survey asking "If Sebastian Kurz was an animal, what animal would he be?" :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2022, 04:24:45 PM
Apparently, the Kurz government at one point authorized spending 150,000 on a survey asking "If Sebastian Kurz was an animal, what animal would he be?" :bleeding:

A mouse
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2022, 05:03:32 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2022, 04:24:45 PM

A mouse

Actually, the leading replies were dolphin and squirrel.  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

My rapid ascent in the chess world continues.  I played Andrea Botez on live stream tonight.  :w00t: And I won!!!  :w00t: :yeah:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1270348295?t=02h35m00s