News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You're being unreasonable.  They have as much right to a street parking space as you do.  It's public property, not gang turf.

Tamas

Quote from: Threviel on August 07, 2021, 12:03:13 PM
Why did you take the car in the first place? The result was presumably obvious before you went shopping?

I did not have a choice, the alternative was to wait for a bus turning up every half an hour, riding it for 15 minutes, then somehow loading a trunkload of shopping on my person, waiting up to half an hour to the bus back, then walking. Overall I still spent far less time circling the block.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2021, 12:15:41 PM
You're being unreasonable.  They have as much right to a street parking space as you do.  It's public property, not gang turf.

Just because they have the right it can still annoy me.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2021, 12:23:46 PM
Why did you take the car in the first place? The result was presumably obvious before you went shopping?

I did not have a choice, the alternative was to wait for a bus turning up every half an hour, riding it for 15 minutes, then somehow loading a trunkload of shopping on my person, waiting up to half an hour to the bus back, then walking. Overall I still spent far less time circling the block.

Use a bicycle and go more often?  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2021, 12:40:14 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2021, 12:23:46 PM

Use a bicycle and go more often?  :D

:rolleyes:

Syt

There's cargo bike rentals in Vienna:

There's even electric ones. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Once again I'm reminded of the urgent need to expropriate the rich before they're allowed to design any more interiors :ultra: :x
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Great-Neck-NY-11024/31065180_zpid/
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2021, 02:17:04 PM
Once again I'm reminded of the urgent need to expropriate the rich before they're allowed to design any more interiors :ultra: :x

:lol:  That's awful, but I am willing to bet that the rich person here paid some pretentious idiot big bucks to design this "artistic interior."  No mere rich person could create such ugliness; it had to have been created by an artist.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2021, 05:59:21 PM
:lol:  That's awful, but I am willing to bet that the rich person here paid some pretentious idiot big bucks to design this "artistic interior."  No mere rich person could create such ugliness; it had to have been created by an artist.
Oh absolutely - but the rich client would have put together a mood board, or a Pinterest and explained what they liked. There is no way a vision that singular is created even by an artist who's basically just a contractor. It's too unique :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2021, 07:26:06 PM
Oh absolutely - but the rich client would have put together a mood board, or a Pinterest and explained what they liked. There is no way a vision that singular is created even by an artist who's basically just a contractor. It's too unique :lol:

The only type of artists who would be able to create something like that unfettered - as opposed to being a harried contractor carrying out the random whims of the client - is someone who is famous enough that they'd be named as a selling point.

So given it doesn't say "interior design by Beyonce" or whatever indicates to me that the client was the vision holder.

Josquius

1: Wonder how long that place will last before the floods take it.
2: I guess it's a pet free home. I can't help but imagine a dog skidding like crazy on those floors.
3: So. Many. Colours.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Architect: How much marble would you like?
Home owner: Yes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2021, 02:17:04 PM

That appears to be The Fountains.

On sale since at least 2015 (when The Guardian says the asking price was $100 million.) Built in 1928, last purchased in 2013, previously the residence of a Russian billionaire who died in 2014.

While there were three pages of sites (or more, I stoped at three) offering it for sale I couldn't find out when it was last refurbished.

Allegedly, though, the 2013 buyers paid less than $16 million for it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

chipwich

What does the British aristocracy's Captain Crunch uniform signify?

Sheilbh

Quote from: chipwich on August 08, 2021, 05:54:53 AM
What does the British aristocracy's Captain Crunch uniform signify?
Which uniform?
Let's bomb Russia!