And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 05, 2017, 02:17:10 PM
Russia just got owned by the IOC of all things lol

Wow is the olympic hockey tournament ever going to suck.  No NHLers, no Russian team at all (which likely means non-Russians playing in the KHL won't be allowed to go)...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 05, 2017, 02:27:18 PM

Wow is the olympic hockey tournament ever going to suck.  No NHLers, no Russian team at all (which likely means non-Russians playing in the KHL won't be allowed to go)...

That depends if the KHL/RHF cares that the IIHF is going to fine & ban it from something else.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

What happened?

garbon

I was wondering if they would have the balls to do so
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2017, 02:44:02 PM

Didn't they already do so for the last summer olympics?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on December 05, 2017, 02:46:50 PM

Didn't they already do so for the last summer olympics?

No they mostly wimped out on the time, though they I think were banned in track and field.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on December 05, 2017, 02:27:18 PM

IOC offers an "Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)" status for clean athletes though. Under the olympic flag, basically.
Now, will it be enough for Team Russia?
https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-suspends-russian-noc-and-creates-a-path-for-clean-individual-athletes-to-compete-in-pyeongchang-2018-under-the-olympic-flag

FunkMonk

I was extremely surprised by the news as well
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

If I read it correctly, one bitcoin transaction takes 275 kwh.  In total bitcoin uses as much energy as Morocco. Yikes.

crazy canuck

One of my boys has set up a rig to mine crypto currency (not bit coin).  He figures he will break even in about 7 months.  If nothing else it was a good experience for him to get it going.  If only I had let him do it 5 years ago when he first proposed the idea of mining bit coin.....  :pinch:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2017, 04:03:54 PM
If I read it correctly, one bitcoin transaction takes 275 kwh.  In total bitcoin uses as much energy as Morocco. Yikes.

I mentioned this a couple years back, but as an alternative form of currency, bitcoin was horribly designed from the outset in a unifixable way.  But by design (if successful) it was designed to be an inflating asset.  The two characteristics are related.  The very factors that cause bitcoin's value to inflate make it unsuitable as an alternative form of money, assuming you don't want a monetary regime with brutal deflation built in.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 05, 2017, 04:26:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2017, 04:03:54 PM

I mentioned this a couple years back, but as an alternative form of currency, bitcoin was horribly designed from the outset in a unifixable way.  But by design (if successful) it was designed to be an inflating asset.  The two characteristics are related.  The very factors that cause bitcoin's value to inflate make it unsuitable as an alternative form of money, assuming you don't want a monetary regime with brutal deflation built in.

Admiral Yi brings up one of the other nasty aspects of it, which is the cost to generate.  As it becomes more valuable there's more value in mining it, which means more participants working on it.  This doesn't mean more bitcoin is generated, just that it takes more and more effort to mine (as the target difficulty is increased).  More participants, raised difficulty, more energy spent for each block.  As long as miners make more money from mining than they spend on rigs and energy (mostly energy at this point) they'll keep throwing more effort at it.  Higher bitcoin value guarantees more energy thrown away on mining.  What bitcoin is trading at ~$10,000 and each block generates 12.5 coins I think.  So as long as the miner spends less than $125,000 for each block (1 block every ~10 minutes) they win it's worth it.  That's a lot of energy.

The Minsky Moment

Agreed.  The environmental toll is  awful especially given the non-existent social utility generated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Haters gonna hate. Sour grapes. Loose lips sink ships.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

What has the environment ever done for you?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.