And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Tyr: "I'm asking for anal anyway, might as well save the effort."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Eddie Teach

Does this mean Athens wins MVP this year?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

This is unsurprising, no? Germany was not a unified country until very late, and developed a multiplicity of "capitals" and "marketplace" during centuries. Same with Italy. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Greece, or the Czech Republic, who used to belong to much larger entities, had their countries more or less carved around the capitals.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

I would have though the UK would be further down the list.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Most of its industry is technically outside London, I guess.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 06, 2017, 04:03:39 PM
This is unsurprising, no? Germany was not a unified country until very late, and developed a multiplicity of "capitals" and "marketplace" during centuries. Same with Italy. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Greece, or the Czech Republic, who used to belong to much larger entities, had their countries more or less carved around the capitals.

When was Greece part of a much larger entity?  My vague recollection was that at the time of Greek independence Athens was incredibly tiny, and was selected for purely historical / nostalgic reasons.

Same question goes for Prague.  It was long incorporated into the Austrian Empire.

But for that same reason, I'm surprised that Vienna isn't much higher on the list, for the exact reason you mention.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2017, 05:08:12 PM
When was Greece part of a much larger entity?  My vague recollection was that at the time of Greek independence Athens was incredibly tiny, and was selected for purely historical / nostalgic reasons.

During the period before "the time of Greek independence" Greece was part of a much larger entity.

Razgovory

I have often thought of France as a giant city-state.  Britain as well to a lesser degree.  I'd be interested in seeing a similar graph with China, India and Brazil.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Germany :wub:

Switzerland would be curious to see.
Common to have huge companies in tiny towns here.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2017, 05:21:06 AM
Common to have huge companies in tiny towns here.

I think I've seen that movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Apparently we are about to enter a new spin of the cycle of British fascism, Britain First is turning on itself.
Why?
One of its leaders has had a rough break up with his Polish girlfriend. He has a small penis.
Another prominent figure then went and slept with this Polish woman.
Despite his being involved with the leading nazi lady.
It's a wonderful soap opera night of the long knives.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Who's the leading Nazi lady? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2017, 05:16:43 AM
I have often thought of France as a giant city-state.  Britain as well to a lesser degree.  I'd be interested in seeing a similar graph with China, India and Brazil.

A gigantic City State? I mean sure it is 15% of the economy but that still leaves 85% for everybody else :P

The dynamics are similar for both countries. London traditionally had more of Britain's population by percentage than Paris did in France but de-industrialization and the decline of agriculture have only made them bigger in their countries not less. It is like if Los Angeles, New York, and Washington DC were combined into one gigantic political, financial, and cultural powerhouse city over here. If London is 'less so' it is only by a degree or so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."