And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Chicago's new requirement for high school students: No plan, no diploma
By Ray Sanchez, CNN

(CNN)A product of Chicago's South Side, DeAvion Gillarm will be the first in his family to attend college.

"I always had a plan," said Gillarm, a Morgan Park High School graduate headed to Lincoln College next month. "You're not going to be successful without a plan."

Under a controversial new requirement, starting in 2020, students hoping to graduate from a public high school in Chicago must provide evidence they, too, have a plan for the future: either acceptance to college or a gap-year program, a trade apprenticeship, military enlistment or a job offer.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/08/us/chicago-high-school-graduation-requirement/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories%29
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Publice education is always about "choice", until it comes down to the darkies.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2017, 05:01:06 PM

Darkies are pushing the plan.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 08, 2017, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2017, 05:01:06 PM

Darkies are pushing the plan.

Rahm Emmanuel is ethnic, but he's not that ethnic.   :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2017, 02:29:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2017, 02:21:35 PM
What the hell is a "Chuff"?

I would guess from chf.

Ah.  Cryptographic hash function.  I forget there are so many computer nerds here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2017, 12:09:33 PM
Scary moment of the day.
Went to an ATM to withdraw 200 chuffs.... Put in my card and pin and was given the quick money withdraw screen, pressed 200 and...the machine gave me 500.
"WTF?" I said to myself and put my card back in to check my balance to see if it had given me 300 for free or just what the hell was going on .
I pressed the "Other functions/withdrawals with receipt button"....the machine took a while to process and rather than show the next screen it gave me 1000.
What the hell?
I can't go to or phone my bank as apparently nobody works Saturday (seriously?).
Checking my online banking though it seems withdrawals of 500 and 1000 were fully registered. No free money which is sad, but at least  I know they didn't mark me as having taken 10,000 or something mad.

Even if it had given it to you for free, they would have caught on eventually and demanded the money back.  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 09, 2017, 05:49:04 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2017, 12:09:33 PM
Scary moment of the day.
Went to an ATM to withdraw 200 chuffs.... Put in my card and pin and was given the quick money withdraw screen, pressed 200 and...the machine gave me 500.
"WTF?" I said to myself and put my card back in to check my balance to see if it had given me 300 for free or just what the hell was going on .
I pressed the "Other functions/withdrawals with receipt button"....the machine took a while to process and rather than show the next screen it gave me 1000.
What the hell?
I can't go to or phone my bank as apparently nobody works Saturday (seriously?).
Checking my online banking though it seems withdrawals of 500 and 1000 were fully registered. No free money which is sad, but at least  I know they didn't mark me as having taken 10,000 or something mad.

Even if it had given it to you for free, they would have caught on eventually and demanded the money back.  :huh:

The concern is more giving out money I didn't ask for. Bad calculations on my account. 
Plus that this happened on a quick shopping trip on an afternoon is good. If it had happened when I was out for a drink for instance....
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on July 08, 2017, 04:54:31 PM

By Ray Sanchez, CNN

(CNN)A product of Chicago's South Side, DeAvion Gillarm will be the first in his family to attend college.

"I always had a plan," said Gillarm, a Morgan Park High School graduate headed to Lincoln College next month. "You're not going to be successful without a plan."

Under a controversial new requirement, starting in 2020, students hoping to graduate from a public high school in Chicago must provide evidence they, too, have a plan for the future: either acceptance to college or a gap-year program, a trade apprenticeship, military enlistment or a job offer.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/08/us/chicago-high-school-graduation-requirement/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories%29

I am most surprised that this isn't already the case.  Every student must have a plan.  And a gap-year is not a plan. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: The Brain on July 09, 2017, 08:46:34 AM
Is STEM a plan? :)

Not really.  I want to study STEM to get into a bank is a plan.  STEM itself isn't a plan. 

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2017, 09:17:06 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 09, 2017, 08:46:34 AM
Is STEM a plan? :)

Not really.  I want to study STEM to get into a bank is a plan.  STEM itself isn't a plan.

OK Paul.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2017, 08:29:12 AM

By Ray Sanchez, CNN

I am most surprised that this isn't already the case.  Every student must have a plan.  And a gap-year is not a plan. 

It's a horrible idea.  The problem is that it means that the students at most risk for dropping out--those who have no plans or goals in the first place--are not going to be able to graduate even if they stick around and otherwise fulfill all of the requirements.  So instead of having a high school diploma and no plans, they'll have no plans and no diploma, either.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 09, 2017, 11:59:15 AM
It's a horrible idea.  The problem is that it means that the students at most risk for dropping out--those who have no plans or goals in the first place--are not going to be able to graduate even if they stick around and otherwise fulfill all of the requirements.  So instead of having a high school diploma and no plans, they'll have no plans and no diploma, either.

Of course it's a horrible idea.  That's what's so great about it:  not only do they get to dictate to the disadvantaged, they get to punish them on top of that.  Because that's what it's all about these days.  Fuck yeah.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on July 09, 2017, 11:59:15 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2017, 08:29:12 AM

By Ray Sanchez, CNN

Ok.  Obviously I don't know much about US highschools.  My assumption would be, that out of the graduating class of 200, 50 wants to be a medical doctor, 50 wants to be a lawyer, 50 wants to be a banker, 49 wants to be a general office worker, and 1 has no plan.  So we need to make that one guy make up his mind as to whether he wants to be a lawyer or office worker. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.