News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 09, 2017, 05:06:20 AM
We should take some tips off our European partners. When I was in Berlin last year the only manned office I ever found was at the Alexanderplatz and that was for information. All the other stations seemed to be unmanned, no annoying barriers either.

In Munich, though, after nightfall there were black-clothed security guards with batons, and pepper spray, plus a black beret on their heads for good measure. 

I must say I could live with such arrangement: I don't see how a guy/gal sitting in a box behind a counter would be of any practical help for an emergency happening somewhere, whereas baton-armed guards who were born too late to be Waffen SS putting the fear of god into drunkards and thieves can be much more useful.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes. For the no barrier/buy your tickets at the machine system you need teams of roving ticket inspectors who can double up as security/passenger assistance. It seems a win/win way to me, greater security for the passengers and a more interesting job for the staff.

Syt

Wiener Linien has no manned ticket counters, and no barriers. They do spot checks on busses, trams, subways, and every once in a while check all people leaving a subway platform.

It works pretty well; additionally almost all subway trains have cameras these days, and so do all stations. Many stations have an additional emergency contact person watching the screens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 09, 2017, 05:17:23 AM
Yes. For the no barrier/buy your tickets at the machine system you need teams of roving ticket inspectors who can double up as security/passenger assistance. It seems a win/win way to me, greater security for the passengers and a more interesting job for the staff.

You reminded me that in Budapest they have (had) this system of semi-random ticket checks by inspectors, and -in big part I recon, due to a culture of cheating with tickets- it has been unpopular to say the least.
Just from recently I remember two videoed incidents - in one a passenger beating up inspectors, in the other, inspectors beating up a passenger.  :lol:

I don't mind the gates.

celedhring

We have slowly removed people from public transport ticket offices here in Barcelona, and you now only find them in big link stations. That's a bit of an issue when there's a problem with the ticketing machine or your pass doesn't work for whatever reason, and there's nobody to help you. But it has happened only rarely to me.

We also have random checks by roving teams of inspectors, with security.

Richard Hakluyt

The barriers are a petty nuisance for most passengers but can be a big annoyance to people with disabilities. They also require one to be continually  fiddling with one's ticket or pass. Now, in Berlin I bought my 7-day ticket and validated it, then it stayed in my wallet until an inspector asked to see it 5 days later. The same pass was also used on the bus system, making the buses much faster as there was no inspection on boarding.

Syt

Similar in Vienna. Though many locals will have a year pass, anyways; considering it's only ~€30 per month, it's pretty affordable.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Yeah, the no-barriers approach I have seen in most German cities is delightful. Ördnung.

Richard Hakluyt

I really liked the Vienna system too  :cool:

It is really cheap too, must have a massive public subsidy.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 09, 2017, 05:56:27 AM

As per the new contract starting this year an average of €500 million per year till 2031. Not counting the current subway network expansions. :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I much prefer the system of random checks/no-barriers as carried out in Germany. I recognize it can be a bit more difficult for tourists (not knowing what to do - Hamburg had me lost at first as I kept looking to see where I could validate my ticket  :blush:) but also keeps things moving at a good pace.

Course all transport unions would likely be on strike if we tried to move to such a system here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2017, 06:00:46 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 09, 2017, 05:56:27 AM

As per the new contract starting this year an average of €500 million per year till 2031. Not counting the current subway network expansions. :blush:

Barcelona's is around the same amount (€550m per year) with much more expensive tickets. Similarly-sized cities too.

garbon

Oh I also love the few voices on twitter calling for people to be in solidarity with the striking Tube workers. #FatChance
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 06:08:39 AM
Oh I also love the few voices on twitter calling for people to be in solidarity with the striking Tube workers. #FatChance

Public transport strikes are endemic over here. And get little sympathy.

It's a service that millions of people depend on, so the leverage unions have is tremendous. And boy, they love using it.

garbon

I'm glad they are only allowed 24 hours. :)