News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Heh.  A mountain lion has been spotted creeping around the trails near my building.  Couple of postdocs came face to face with it while walking during their lunch break. 

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2016, 01:43:09 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2016, 05:38:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2016, 08:36:39 AM
Escape to LA?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/26/san-francisco-move-to-la-bohemians-artists-tech-boom

QuoteThe boho-drain: bohemians say goodbye San Francisco, hello LA
The once alternative city by the bay has become a playground for tech billionaires, so its artists are fleeing to an unlikely new home: la-la-land

Yeah, I know a bunch of hipster like people who've moved to LA.

How unusual.
LA seems to be their antithesis.

Do recall, LA is pretty big. Venice Beach, for instance, is hardly the antithesis of hipsters.

Here are the areas that they say are getting said arty folk - which at least downtown makes sense to me as when I was around there a little less than a decade ago, it was kind of slummy. Prime space for arty type gentrification.

QuoteIt is a common refrain also among New Yorkers who have flocked to LA, especially its revitalised downtown and eastern neighbourhoods such as Echo Park, Highland Park and Silver Lake where galleries and performance venues pop up like toast.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Yeah, in the end hipsters are mostly people who know what they like - often arty stuff and things they deem 'authentic' - and try to pursue it even if they don't have a lot of money.

CountDeMoney

So hipsters have culturally appropriated Rent.

ulmont

Quote from: mongers on September 26, 2016, 05:45:13 PM
Isn't sellotape an American brand/trade mark?

Quote from: WikipediaSellotape is a British brand of transparent, polypropylene-based, pressure-sensitive tape, and is the leading brand in the United Kingdom. Sellotape is generally used for joining, sealing, attaching and mending.

The term has become a genericised trademark used in Britain, Ireland, South Africa, Croatia, Greece, India, Sri Lanka, Israel, Japan, Nigeria, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Serbia, Spain, Turkey, Macedonia, Zimbabwe, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovenia. The term is also used much in the same way that Scotch Tape came to be used in Canada and the United States (and Sticky Tape in Australia), in referring to any brand of clear adhesive tape.

Not so much, no.

mongers

So where and when?

11B4V isn't allowed to answer.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The identifying flag below the cupola gives it away, assuming it's the flag I'm thinking.  I'll let someone else answer, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2016, 04:31:04 PM
Cyprus 1974.

Indeed, just odd that T34 should be engaging M47/M48 on a Mediterranean island, 30 years after WW2.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2016, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2016, 04:31:04 PM
Cyprus 1974.

Indeed, just odd that T34 should be engaging M47/M48 on a Mediterranean island, 30 years after WW2.

Its armor was superior.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Is Musk trolling or is he actually serious about this Mars thing?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Ed Anger news:

Ed Anger signs business pact
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Congrats. Don't turn on the yakuza, bad things happen :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2016, 07:50:50 PM
Congrats. Don't turn on the yakuza, bad things happen :ph34r:

*snort*

In involves food trucks and now I got that Simpsons episode in my head.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Good stuff. What kind of business are we talking?