And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

"Losing one world war can be attributed to bad luck.  Losing two starts to look like carelessness."

Germans aren't the ones to bet on in a third.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

The grudge match between Icelanders and plate tectonics continues.

A new road has been built on top of the lava that cut through it last weekend.

Locals gently herding the lava away from GrindavĂ­k.

Status as of 10 this morning.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 06:36:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2024, 12:38:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2024, 09:10:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 08:40:55 AMI didn't know Montreal was a very dangerous city.
Only during winter.

try navigating the bar district just after last call.

The only time I go to Montreal is to see a band I like play at a club on st Catharine's. I normally have a couple drinks after and walk to my hotel a few blocks away. Never felt more threatened than, say, Toronto. It's dingy. Lots of homeless and panhandling but I've never felt scared.

There was a video about people falling down on the pavement. If you ever walk along St Catherine's after closing, you will see lots of people on the verge of falling down.

Josquius

I keep reading stuff about teacher shortages.
This is not my gfs job hunting experience at all.
Do all the teachers live in the north east and all the students down south or something.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah from what I read a lot of it is driven by retention. But also I get the impression it varies a lot between subjects and more in secondary teachers, less in primary teachers.

Edit: Also my teacher friends - one is now hiring position - don't really moan about shortage of teachers or applicants. But they're possibly in the over-subscribed subjects. I could be wrong but I think it's particularly maths and science teachers that it's challenging to recruit.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2024, 09:52:50 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 06:36:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2024, 12:38:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2024, 09:10:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 08:40:55 AMI didn't know Montreal was a very dangerous city.
Only during winter.

try navigating the bar district just after last call.

The only time I go to Montreal is to see a band I like play at a club on st Catharine's. I normally have a couple drinks after and walk to my hotel a few blocks away. Never felt more threatened than, say, Toronto. It's dingy. Lots of homeless and panhandling but I've never felt scared.

There was a video about people falling down on the pavement. If you ever walk along St Catherine's after closing, you will see lots of people on the verge of falling down.

Yeah, I was probably one of them.  ;)  To my point though, people falling down drunk doesn't mean dangerous. Maybe I'm just immune. I went to university in downtown Toronto and saw a lot of that in my prime years.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on March 24, 2024, 08:52:04 AMThis is why we can't have nice things.
Nimby level 100
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-68640926.amp

Kate Marsh drove her Citroen C1 into the middle of the grassed area

A council has said it will not make "improvements" to a grassed area in front of houses after a woman protested by parking her car in the middle.

:lol:

HVC

Should have pulled a China and just built around her car :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2024, 09:35:50 AMShould have pulled a China and just built around her car :lol:

Or towed it and issued a fine?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

While more realistic that's less funny then walling her car in and making it part of the scenery :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2024, 09:37:47 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2024, 09:35:50 AMShould have pulled a China and just built around her car :lol:

Yes. Even ignoring the construction this must surely be a parking offence
██████
██████
██████

Syt

QuoteNottingham City Council wanted to add a path, benches, trees and book exchange to the open space in Bilborough.

However, residents were worried it would attract anti-social behaviour and stop children playing sports.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on March 24, 2024, 09:41:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2024, 09:37:47 AM

Yes. Even ignoring the construction this must surely be a parking offence

Which they could use to make up budget shortfalls mentioned. :showoff:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.