News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2024, 09:52:30 AMStockholm has been named the world's most dangerous city, right after Montreal. ;)

Is this another one of those things where changes are made to ensure the Swedish police do their job and properly report crimes so omfg crime rate shot up.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on March 21, 2024, 02:59:34 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2024, 09:52:30 AMStockholm has been named the world's most dangerous city, right after Montreal. ;)

Is this another one of those things where changes are made to ensure the Swedish police do their job and properly report crimes so omfg crime rate shot up.

It's a slippery slope ;) :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

As Leo Varadkar steps down as Taoiseach and leader of Fine Gael, Irish constitutional law lecturer comes out in favour of Tamas-ism :lol:
QuoteEoin Daly
@eoinmauricedaly
I have no objection to UK media outlets using the phrase 'Irish PM'. The Constitution describes the Taoiseach as a 'prime minister', & honestly, 'Taoiseach' is a mortifying kitsch neologism which encapsulates the state's devotion to symbolic & tokenistic embrace of the Irish
... language in place of any serious project of language revival
Another thing which mortifies me is the common practice of saying 'An Taoiseach' *when speaking in English*. It is every bit as pretentious and contrived as saying 'I am going to Le Restaurant'.

He also notes that Dail Eireann is a bit different, comes from a different stage of Irish history and is part of a more coherent politics. While Taoiseach comes from de Valera's 1937 constitution and is roughly translated as "chieftan" or "leader" which is perhaps a little problematic in retrospect :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Josephus

I didn't know Montreal was a very dangerous city.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2024, 01:16:34 AM220 years ago today, the Duke of Enghien is executed and/or murdered ( :P ).

C'était pire qu'un crime, c'était une faute.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 08:40:55 AMI didn't know Montreal was a very dangerous city.
Only during winter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2024, 09:10:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 08:40:55 AMI didn't know Montreal was a very dangerous city.
Only during winter.

Rampaging Hockey fans?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Only during winter.

try navigating the bar district just after last call.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2024, 12:38:56 PM
Only during winter.

Did it in my youth! :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2024, 12:26:07 PM
Only during winter.

Rampaging Hockey fans?
Worst: blue collar union workers on strike.  Not that you see the difference from when they're supposed to be working...

Grey Fox

What's Montreal's bar district? The island?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2024, 12:38:56 PM
Only during winter.

The only time I go to Montreal is to see a band I like play at a club on st Catharine's. I normally have a couple drinks after and walk to my hotel a few blocks away. Never felt more threatened than, say, Toronto. It's dingy. Lots of homeless and panhandling but I've never felt scared.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2024, 06:20:52 PMWhat's Montreal's bar district? The island?
Downtown, somewhere along St-Denis and St-Catherine and wherever Les Fouf' is. I'd need Google Maps to get back there now.

viper37