News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

So the first of what I'm sure will be many corruption scandals of Mayor Adams involves... Turkey?  That's unexpected.  Why would Turkey need to have a NYC mayor in its pocket? :unsure:

Sheilbh

Money laundering? Real estate and construction opportunities are a big part of that I think? See the whole Londongrad decades (which wasn't just Russian money, plenty of Turks and others too).

Those always seem to be the sectors at the heart of every local government scandal - and if you're a global city, then it's global.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Bankman-Fried guilty on all counts.

HVC

What happened/ happens with his accomplice girlfriend?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2023, 09:28:26 PMBankman-Fried guilty on all counts.

A rare instance of justice in the golden age of fraud.

Granted he fucked up by stealing from important people and institutions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Looks like we're going to have our fourth volcanic eruption in less than 3 years on the Reykjanes peninsula very soon but this time the magma intrusion has reached under the Blue Lagoon (one of the most popular tourist traps destinations in Iceland) and the adjacent power plant. They really ought to shut down operations while we wait and see. :hmm: Hundreds of flash-boiled tourists would be bad PR.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Hey, at least they're independent
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Illustrative of Hungarian sentiment towards Romania? :hmm:  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Return the South West to Spain.
Tens of millions finally have affordable healthcare.
You're welcome.

Admiral Yi

Question for the Yuros.  I know Halloween has made some inroads in ye olde world, wondering if it has gotten to kids trick or treating.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2023, 10:45:36 AMQuestion for the Yuros.  I know Halloween has made some inroads in ye olde world, wondering if it has gotten to kids trick or treating.

Halloween is a big kid thing in Sweden these days, but anecdotally I have yet to encounter trick or treating.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2023, 10:48:39 AMHalloween is a big kid thing in Sweden these days, but anecdotally I have yet to encounter trick or treating.

Then what do kids do?  Here getting loot is pretty much the whole point for kids.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2023, 10:45:36 AMQuestion for the Yuros.  I know Halloween has made some inroads in ye olde world, wondering if it has gotten to kids trick or treating.

I saw a Danish language Reddit thread on Hallowe'en. From it it seemed that there were neighbourhoods were trick-or-treating or leaving out a bowl of candy were a thing. Seemed like the majority opinion (in the thread, no idea how representative) was that trick-or-treating was a thing that people in a neighbourhood put on for their kids by agreement, with some folk complaining about parents who brought their kids to a "good" neighbourhood other than their own.