News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2023, 10:33:32 AMI don't know if it's necessarily government sponsored, but I've always thought there might be something in a trust model that funds local press.

I think that would be worth exploring, but I don't trust Austrian networks between politicians and businesses (esp. on a district or municipality level where leading politicians are often also the local business leaders) to do this well. :P

I think it's important to give people access to a spectrum of readily available news sources. Charging 20+ EUR/month for one paper will make it very unlikely I'd pay again as much for another paper (Vienna traditionally handled that by cafés offering a wide selection of national and international papers for their patrons to read for free, which was part of why they became such a cultural institution in the 19th century).

If there was an offer where I'd pay, say, 10-20 EUR and it would give me access to 4 or 5 major papers/news sites I'd be much more willing to buy such a subscription.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I feel personally attacked.  :cry:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I might have ADHD.
That or the total opposite where I just skip everything interesting and give only the end.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2023, 07:25:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2023, 06:55:15 PMWhat would make you less disappointed?

A complete retraction.

I'm potentially willing to make such a retraction, but it's not clear to me what's missing from the one I already made.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2023, 01:38:02 AMI feel personally attacked.  :cry:

I'd rename the titles: "Most Golden Age Hollywood movie scripts" and "MCU movie scripts".  Except for the latter instead on an apology we get end credits scenes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

In Latin countries they call roller coasters Russian mountains.

In ex USSR countries they call roller coasters Americans mountains.

:hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It's a Russian invention popularize by it's adoption in the USA. It tracks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I'm trying to buy a passport cover that makes a shitty new black British passport look like a proper burgundy British passport.

There's an awful lot of awful tat on the market and nothing filling what I would have thought is a in demand niche :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2023, 09:53:14 AMI'm potentially willing to make such a retraction, but it's not clear to me what's missing from the one I already made.

Your thesis was compound.  "The only people who make a big deal out of..." was not retracted.

Jacob

Okay, I'm happy to retract that as well :hug:

Sheilbh

Things looking worrying in Turkey. Opposition rallies were stoned today by AKP supporters and the AKP Interior Minister is now calling Imamoglu (who was doing the rally) a "provocateur".

It's hardly going to help them win - but it might be helpful for rallying the support of their most hardline base in case they don't.

It feels very plausible that there'll be political violence - especially if it does (as is likely) end up going into a run-off vote.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

There is no way Erdogan will leave peacefully, and that is assuming he won't just have the results doctored.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on May 07, 2023, 06:18:51 PMThere is no way Erdogan will leave peacefully, and that is assuming he won't just have the results doctored.

Yeah. Next weekend is when he drops the fig leaf and crosses the Rubicon to full fledged XXIth century autocracy.