Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

11 out of 10 on the smugness meter beeb  :lol:

Have a nice day!

Savonarola

Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2023, 01:20:05 PMToday I learned in quebec they have to a basic extent implemented the system I'd use for car tax, taxing people in major metro areas more for owning a car.
+10 points to the yankois.

Now all they need to do is build a major metro area in La Belle Province.

;)

How far away from the city center does that apply, GF?  Do you have to pay a car tax in Laval?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2023, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2023, 01:20:05 PMToday I learned in quebec they have to a basic extent implemented the system I'd use for car tax, taxing people in major metro areas more for owning a car.
+10 points to the yankois.

Now all they need to do is build a major metro area in La Belle Province.

;)

How far away from the city center does that apply, GF?  Do you have to pay a car tax in Laval?

It was only to the Montreal island but now it's getting extended to the entire GMA(define by membership of the CMM) so yes I will have to pay it.

Apparently before it's long awaited computer system update in February the SAAQ didn't have the technological capacity to administer effectively in regions that have towns part of the CMM and towns that are not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2023, 03:37:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2023, 02:59:36 PMBeeb, what do you mean when you say the CBC is subsidized?  Doesn't their entire budget come from public funds?

CBC TV does advertising (radio does not).

By the way, the link Jacob provided is absolutely fucking hilarious.  I urge everyone to take a look.  On a quick glance at the chart it makes it look like over half of CBC's total budget comes from non-government revenue.

https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/impact-and-accountability/finances/annual-reports/ar-2018-2019/financial-sustainability/revenue-and-other-funds

But look at the Y-axis.  There's a convenient little "~" that chops away one billion dollars.  That billion dollars is all government funding.  So the graph is not a lie - but it is very misleading.  Some might even say intentionally so.

So to answer your question, CBC is funded somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 by government, but not 100%.

I actually ran across that graph on Twitter (complete with the "~"), but because of the source I wasn't sure of its provenance, and didn't share it here.  But now Jacob came along and gave me the source for it. :hug:  Thanks buddy!

Wow, that is the most brazen abuse of visualization I've seen in a while.  The whole point of the bar plot is to tell the story by visual size of bar.  Anyone who uses the chart as intended will be misled.  :hmm:  No, not misled, lied to.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2023, 04:20:11 PMWow, that is the most brazen abuse of visualization I've seen in a while.  The whole point of the bar plot is to tell the story by visual size of bar.  Anyone who uses the chart as intended will be misled.  :hmm:  No, not misled, lied to.
It's like a Lib Dem election leaflet - they are notorious for incredibly dodgy bar charts :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2023, 03:49:27 PM11 out of 10 on the smugness meter beeb  :lol:

Have a nice day!

OK, maybe a little bit smug. :hug:  But it's not like you made that graph, so it's not an attack on you.

But seriously - is that graph not massively misleading?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Massively misleading.  Even knowing going in it was hard for me to spot.

I'll never be able to listen to As It Happens the same way.

Grey Fox

I'm the opinion that the CBC/Radio-canada leaders should lean into their public funding. It's a good thing! Be proud of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2023, 05:05:03 PMI'm the opinion that the CBC/Radio-canada leaders should lean into their public funding. It's a good thing! Be proud of it.

Yeah, that thing is only a big deal for folks like BB and Yi who already think public funding is shameful and thus assume that the CBC is trying to hide the information instead of, say, trying to show sources of funding and sources of revenue in the same graphic.

But I guess they got the message. The 2021 report has those two things separated and no shenanigans with the axes: https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/impact-and-accountability/finances/annual-reports/ar-2021-2022/financial-sustainability/revenue-and-other-funds

In 2021-22 the proportion looks to pretty close to 2/3 gov't funding and 1/3 revenue.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2023, 05:48:28 PMYeah, that thing is only a big deal for folks like BB and Yi who already think public funding is shameful and thus assume that the CBC is trying to hide the information instead of, say, trying to show sources of funding and sources of revenue in the same graphic.

Jacob got triggered and started making things up.  I've never said anything public funding of media.

Neither has DGuller AFAIK.  He's the one who brought up the hinky graph yet you didn't think to include him in your slander.

I agreed with him that the graph appeared designed to give the false impression that public funding was less significant than it really is.  If you want to dispute that, feel free.  I would appreciate it if you would focus on that instead of veiled accusations of bad faith.

Grey Fox implied that CBC was obfuscating when he said they should lean into their public funding.  Be proud (as opposed to being ashamed).

HVC

I think publicly funded news is a good thing. Keeps us away from "news" as entertainment fox world. That being said the original chart was super misleading. You can't cut out a billion dollar chunk of a comparative chart. Glad they stopped with that.

BB did you ever go into why you dislike the cbc? Is it purely the funding model in comparison to money available to private companies, or are there other issues?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2023, 05:59:45 PMJacob got triggered and started making things up.  I've never said anything public funding of media.

I'm sorry if I triggered you. I'm happy to retract my statement that you're against public funding of publicly owned media. I made an assumption. I'm glad to hear it was incorrect :hug:

QuoteNeither has DGuller AFAIK.  He's the one who brought up the hinky graph yet you didn't think to include him in your slander.

That is correct, I did not.

QuoteI agreed with him that the graph appeared designed to give the false impression that public funding was less significant than it really is.  If you want to dispute that, feel free.  I would appreciate it if you would focus on that instead of veiled accusations of bad faith.

It's a shitty graph. It's five years old. The more recent one - as linked - does a better job I think :)

QuoteGrey Fox implied that CBC was obfuscating when he said they should lean into their public funding.  Be proud (as opposed to being ashamed).

I agree with Grey Fox that the CBC should be proud of being publicly funded.

Admiral Yi

I'm disappointed in you.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2023, 06:40:58 PMI'm disappointed in you.

What would make you less disappointed?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2023, 06:55:15 PMWhat would make you less disappointed?

A complete retraction.