News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2022, 02:24:29 PMAmazing work by Japan - first event on Jacinda Arden's visit features two kiwi fruit mascots dancing to mournful music :lol:
https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/1516940545327009793?s=20&t=-Q-UnNmeM2LbAXY6JP92Jg

I didn't know what to expect.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Had a look at the line up for the Wacken Open Air. I don't plan on going (mayhaps next year?), but it's a good way to check new bands. Additionally, bands and artists performing at the event for first time get a "First Time" thingy added to their entry. I had to laugh, though, when one of those first timers this year turned out to be ... Limp Bizkit. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2022, 08:35:23 AMHad a look at the line up for the Wacken Open Air. I don't plan on going (mayhaps next year?), but it's a good way to check new bands. Additionally, bands and artists performing at the event for first time get a "First Time" thingy added to their entry. I had to laugh, though, when one of those first timers this year turned out to be ... Limp Bizkit. :lol:

:lol:

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 23, 2022, 08:39:49 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2022, 08:35:23 AMHad a look at the line up for the Wacken Open Air. I don't plan on going (mayhaps next year?), but it's a good way to check new bands. Additionally, bands and artists performing at the event for first time get a "First Time" thingy added to their entry. I had to laugh, though, when one of those first timers this year turned out to be ... Limp Bizkit. :lol:

:lol:

Another first time band is Slipknot. :P I admit I wouldn't mind seeing them live. -_- Also: Cirith Ungol doing a 50th Anniversary Show  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2022, 08:46:51 AMAnother first time band is Slipknot. :P I admit I wouldn't mind seeing them live. -_- 

I hope they reunite with the best opening act they ever had.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Limp Bizkit and Slipknot? Are they doing an early 00s nu metal revival thing or what?

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on April 23, 2022, 09:32:42 AMLimp Bizkit and Slipknot? Are they doing an early 00s nu metal revival thing or what?

They tend to have an eclectic mix of old (and very old) bands, new bands, and some cult favorites. :)

The currently confirmed bands are here: https://www.wacken.com/de/programm/bands/#!/artists/all

I see Lordi and GWAR are also there - would make a great costume/masks triple act with Slipknot. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2022, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 23, 2022, 09:32:42 AMLimp Bizkit and Slipknot? Are they doing an early 00s nu metal revival thing or what?

They tend to have an eclectic mix of old (and very old) bands, new bands, and some cult favorites. :)

The currently confirmed bands are here: https://www.wacken.com/de/programm/bands/#!/artists/all

I see Lordi and GWAR are also there - would make a great costume/masks triple act with Slipknot. :lol:

Lordi, GWAR and Slipknot need to play in a renamed Mask stage.  :P
Still room for Mercyful Fate, if they still exist.

Admiral Yi

Gun shots have passed car accidents to become the #1 cause of US childrens' deaths.  45,000 last year.  From NPR.

Josquius

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 /🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2022, 02:08:14 PMGun shots have passed car accidents to become the #1 cause of US childrens' deaths.  45,000 last year.  From NPR.
This can't be right.  The 45,000 figure sounds like the total death figure from gunshots, not childrens' death figure.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2022, 02:31:56 PMThis can't be right.  The 45,000 figure sounds like the total death figure from gunshots, not childrens' death figure.

Looks like a misheard.

QuoteThe independent data collection organization Gun Violence Archive counted 1,055 children killed or injured by gunfire in 2021, up from 999 in 2020, and 695 in 2019.

By several orders of magnitude.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076396871/gun-violence-rise-killing-children-pandemic

DGuller

It could be a different figure.  The 45,000 number sounds about right for gun deaths in the US per year, though the majority are suicides.  Some people think gun suicides shouldn't count, but I think they should be, since suicidal people with guns are far more likely to die than suicidal people without guns.