News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Indian Elections 2024

Started by Sheilbh, April 19, 2024, 04:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 PMAgain, so I'm hardly a BJP apologist nor member.

As I understand it (and I can be wrong) though if you're a hindu nationalist you only care about India.  Islam (and to a much lesser extent Christianity) were brought in by outside invaders.  Sikhism, Buddhism, and Jainism are native Indian religions, not brought by outside invaders.  What happened in other countries is immaterial.

(No idea what they think of Zoroastrians who arrived as refugees, but given the incredibly tiny numbers it hardly matters)

Oh - I came across the term they use - "Dharmic religions".  Which basically just means what I said - religions that originate in India, and are hinuism, buddhism, sikhism and jainism.  The fact that buddhism is probably more popular outside of India than inside of it again just doesn't factor in to it.

Edit: pretty sketchy stuff (Quora) suggests that Zoroastrians are actually on pretty good terms with the BJP due to mutual antipathy with muslims.  Sigh.

I get that am I'm suggesting they're lying.  That at least in part the reason they feel animosity towards Islam is because it was the religion of the conqueror.  The religion of the tax collector, of the judge, of the punisher.  that if, as in Indonesia, a couple Gulf merchants had shown up and told them about this great religion that helps you stop drinking so much, they would not feel the same animosity.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2024, 03:52:52 PMI get that am I'm suggesting they're lying.  That at least in part the reason they feel animosity towards Islam is because it was the religion of the conqueror.  The religion of the tax collector, of the judge, of the punisher.  that if, as in Indonesia, a couple Gulf merchants had shown up and told them about this great religion that helps you stop drinking so much, they would not feel the same animosity.

So I really tend to dislike the casual use of the word "lying".

In order to lie, you have to know what you're saying is false, and yet say it anyways.  If you believe in something false and say it, you're not lying.  An ardent flat earther is not lying when he/she says the world is flat - they are just badly mistaken.

So sure - in some alternate history, maybe the relationship between hindus and muslims would be completely different.  But as they say - if grandma had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

The BJP views islam as the religion of foreign invaders.  Whether they're right to or not doesn't really matter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2024, 03:58:42 PMSo I really tend to dislike the casual use of the word "lying".

In order to lie, you have to know what you're saying is false, and yet say it anyways.  If you believe in something false and say it, you're not lying.  An ardent flat earther is not lying when he/she says the world is flat - they are just badly mistaken.

So sure - in some alternate history, maybe the relationship between hindus and muslims would be completely different.  But as they say - if grandma had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

The BJP views islam as the religion of foreign invaders.  Whether they're right to or not doesn't really matter.

I agree with you about the meaning of "to lie."  That was exactly my objection to the anti Gulf War chant "Bush lied, people died."  However using the word lie does seem to have helped you understand my point.

And my point is that the BJP professes *not* to view Islam as the religion of foreign invaders, just a foreign relgion.

Josquius

Based off my experiences with one Indian guy (so yeah. He could just be a werido) Islam as the foreign invaders religion certainly seems to be key to the hate.
I remember a few times he spoke about how great things were in ancient India, free love peace and glory, until the fire nat... Muslims invaded.

I get the feeling that some of it might be displacement of some of the post colonial inferiority complex about the UK since English and other colonial introductions are so core to India they can't really be challenged nor would it be wise to.
Islam on the other hand is a far safer target to bash.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2024, 03:52:52 PMI get that am I'm suggesting they're lying.  That at least in part the reason they feel animosity towards Islam is because it was the religion of the conqueror.  The religion of the tax collector, of the judge, of the punisher.  that if, as in Indonesia, a couple Gulf merchants had shown up and told them about this great religion that helps you stop drinking so much, they would not feel the same animosity.

That should be easy to test.  Just compare anti-Muslim sentiment in the areas of India that were once ruled by Muslims to the same in areas never ruled by Muslims.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on April 23, 2024, 06:16:40 PMThat should be easy to test.  Just compare anti-Muslim sentiment in the areas of India that were once ruled by Muslims to the same in areas never ruled by Muslims.
Although the areas once ruled by Muslims are also the areas with a large Muslim minority - so it could just be bigotry against a minority in your area.

But there's an argument there is a north-south divide which I've seen made and the BJP's heartland is the north (and I suppose where Muslims ruled sort of depends on when you look at it). Although I've also read pieces arguing against that divide really being a feature. So I'm not sure.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2024, 06:25:40 PMAlthough the areas once ruled by Muslims are also the areas with a large Muslim minority - so it could just be bigotry against a minority in your area.

Yes, and that would work against the "homegrown versus foreign" argument.

QuoteBut there's an argument there is a north-south divide which I've seen made and the BJP's heartland is the north (and I suppose where Muslims ruled sort of depends on when you look at it). Although I've also read pieces arguing against that divide really being a feature. So I'm not sure.

I don't know, either.

I would point out that "Hindu nationalism" is unlike any other religious nationalism, because not even Hindus know what Hinduism is or believes.  It is by far the most amorphous religion in the world, with no consensus on whether the world is real, the gods (or God) are real, whether other people are real, or pretty much anything else other than a common belief in an ineffable "ultimate reality" called Brahman, and the existence of "sparks" of Brahman trapped in matter, which are the atman of every living thing (every living thing that is not an illusions, that is).  Jainism is just an extremely ascetic form of Hinduism, when it comes down to it, and Hinduism stretches from that ascetic boundary to an extremely hedonistic boundary o the other side, where sexual pleasure is a religious duty.

SO I think that the BJP and Hindu nationalism are politically-manufactured artifices that really don't stand up to the least bit of actual religious examination.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on April 23, 2024, 04:24:58 PMBased off my experiences with one Indian guy (so yeah. He could just be a werido) Islam as the foreign invaders religion certainly seems to be key to the hate.
I remember a few times he spoke about how great things were in ancient India, free love peace and glory, until the fire nat... Muslims invaded.

I get the feeling that some of it might be displacement of some of the post colonial inferiority complex about the UK since English and other colonial introductions are so core to India they can't really be challenged nor would it be wise to.
Islam on the other hand is a far safer target to bash.
So it's just more decolonization stuff?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 23, 2024, 06:36:41 PMSO I think that the BJP and Hindu nationalism are politically-manufactured artifices that really don't stand up to the least bit of actual religious examination.

So I feel like I've said this kind of thing before:

I don't want to make a religious criticism of a non-Christian religion.  Because, of course, I could make a pretty basic critique that it's obviously false because they Hindus don't follow Christ.

But even beyond that - I could make a critique of Catholics and Orthodox because they don't follow the (obviously) true Protestant faith.

Or even within protestantism, there is of course all kinds of room for criticism (and this is where I don't know where I'd place myself anyways).

So I have no doubt that the BJP can be subject to religious criticism.  But I also don't doubt that I am in no way the person to make that criticism.  I merely attempted to observe, without criticism, what their position was.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Asked my Indian coworker if he followed the elections. He said no, because it's way too depressing what's happening to the country. Besides, he can't cast a vote from Austria, anyways. He confirmed Sikhs being repressed but slightly less than Muslims (he himself is non-religious Hindu from Jaipur).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.