And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: dps on June 18, 2019, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 18, 2019, 02:52:52 PM
Seriously, the US incarceration rate is a big minus.

Not for those of us who aren't in prison.

Some of the stuff being posted in this thread is just pointless.  Like the ranking I see sometimes of the best and worst US states to live in, where often the criteria includes things like percentage of the population who smoke tobacco products or the percentage who are obese.  OK, sure, from a health POV, smoking and obesity are bad for you, but those things are about your behavior, not the behavior of your neighbors.  You can live somewhere where only 2% of the population smoke or are obese, but if you're part of that 2%, you're not any better off than you would be if you lived somewhere where 98% of the population smokes and is obese;  conversely, if 98% of the population in your state smokes and is obese, but you don't smoke and aren't obese, you're no worse off for living there.  Obviously, of course, some metrics do matter regardless of your personal behavior--for example, things like the quality of public transportation and the ratio of medical doctors to population.
Such statistics are proxy variables.  Some people are more predisposed to destructive behaviors than other people, it's a spectrum.  Whether they trigger their self-destruct mechanism or not is in part a function of their environment, which is partly why different environments have different rates of destructive behaviors.  I also think that no man is an island; it's harder to live a happy and fulfilling life when you're surrounded by misery and despair.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2019, 07:39:14 PM

Such statistics are proxy variables.  Some people are more predisposed to destructive behaviors than other people, it's a spectrum.  Whether they trigger their self-destruct mechanism or not is in part a function of their environment, which is partly why different environments have different rates of destructive behaviors.  I also think that no man is an island; it's harder to live a happy and fulfilling life when you're surrounded by misery and despair.

This.

That's why I couldn't live in the US, even if a wealthy person, the inequality would get me down.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2019, 04:48:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
You can live somewhere where only 2% of the population smoke or are obese, but if you're part of that 2%, you're not any better off than you would be if you lived somewhere where 98% of the population smokes and is obese;

If you live where health care, income level, availability of leisure time and ready access to healthy foods and regulation of unhealthy foods is such that your jurisdiction has only a 2% obesity rate, then those 2% certainly have a better quality of life (even though obese) than the hell hole that has 98% obesity.  The only reason it would get that high is if all the above metrics were shit.

Whooooosh

Yeah, that is pretty much the problem with American denial regarding the how flawed their system is.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2019, 07:59:52 PM

This.

That's why I couldn't live in the US, even if a wealthy person, the inequality would get me down.
That's what property taxes are for.  You pay them so that you can live in places where people can afford to pay property taxes.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 08:05:59 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2019, 04:48:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
You can live somewhere where only 2% of the population smoke or are obese, but if you're part of that 2%, you're not any better off than you would be if you lived somewhere where 98% of the population smokes and is obese;

If you live where health care, income level, availability of leisure time and ready access to healthy foods and regulation of unhealthy foods is such that your jurisdiction has only a 2% obesity rate, then those 2% certainly have a better quality of life (even though obese) than the hell hole that has 98% obesity.  The only reason it would get that high is if all the above metrics were shit.

Whooooosh

Yeah, that is pretty much the problem with American denial regarding the how flawed their system is.

Whooooosh!!!

He wasn't talking about "the American system."  No "system" anywhere has "only 2% of the population smoke or are obese."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2019, 08:16:32 PM
That's what property taxes are for.  You pay them so that you can live in places where people can afford to pay property taxes.

That doesn't make much sense. Everybody who rents or owns pays property taxes either directly or undirectly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 08:38:47 PM
That doesn't make much sense. Everybody who rents or owns pays property taxes either directly or undirectly.

He's talking about the McMansion/hovel divide, not the owner/renter divide.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 08:41:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 08:38:47 PM

He's talking about the McMansion/hovel divide, not the owner/renter divide.

Ok but why wouldn't that exist with no property taxes? What do property taxes have to do with that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 08:45:51 PM
OK, maybe he's not.

I think he was imply that if you pay high property taxes, you'll be in a area with other high property tax payers, so you'll not see the poor and disadvantaged people at the other extreme?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2019, 08:52:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 08:45:51 PM
OK, maybe he's not.

I think he was imply that if you pay high property taxes, you'll be in a area with other high property tax payers, so you'll not see the poor and disadvantaged people at the other extreme?

I mean yeah I get the idea that if you are in an area with expensive realestate you will not see people who cannot afford expensive realestate. Though this is not completely true, some of the most expensive places in the country have homelessness issues.

I just did not get how property taxes are the driving force behind that. I mean wouldn't that be true regardless of taxes?

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2019, 07:59:52 PM

This.

As opposed to the UK where no inequality is on display?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It's bad in the UK.
But it seems worse in the US. Less modesty to be found amongst the day to day wealthy.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 19, 2019, 02:26:43 AM
It's bad in the UK.
But it seems worse in the US. Less modesty to be found amongst the day to day wealthy.

Well more hypocrisy here. Like Boris tooling about town in his raggedy minivan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon