News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2011, 07:36:32 AM
Wearing orange on St. Pattys day is like wearing a white hood on Martin Luther King's birthday.

I miss Senator Byrd too, Raz, but there's no sense in dwelling on the past.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2011, 07:46:31 AM
Wrong.  It's ok to mock the Irish. :)

It's fashionable if "Boondock Saints" and it's sequel are anything to go by.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2011, 07:32:23 AM
I couldn't find my orange button-down shirt this morning, so I settled for a green one. :rolleyes:

:angry:

My wife had a green shirt laid out for Tommy to wear this morning.  But before I left for work I hid it & replaced it with his orange shirt that has a dog playing hockey.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I don't own anything orange. Not even a Browns jersey.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Wearing orange on St. Pattys day is like wearing a white hood on Martin Luther King's birthday.

Except it isn't.  Not at all.

No orange shirt.  I'm wearing a red one, but it's not the same.  Not the same at all. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2011, 09:33:52 PM
I've been posting a lot on the old EUOT.  It's kind of nice when my posts are the rational ones.  It is amusing when someone rants about why English should be the only language but misspells every other word.

Here's what I mean.

QuoteAnd in The Federalist Papers, Madison made the point that one of the hallmarks of sovereignty is the ability to choose your own officers. To the first point, see the Tenth Amendment.

The Founders were in agreement more than they differed, teramel0s. Madison ("Father of the Constitution") was not a Federalist, but wrote TFP along with Hamilton and Jay. BTW, Hamilton was the chief Federalist, which party became the Whigs, which in turn became the party of Lincoln. "Unreconstructed Hamiltonian", BTW, is far from amenable to your charming literary analysis - it happens to be (a) a political description, per the above; anyone interested in Constitutional adherence would understand it, (b) a literary allusion, see "Lazarus Long"; any real SF fan would recognize it, because if you haven't read Heinlein you're not a real SF fan, (c) a mathematical pun, which also fits into something Heinlein said about mathematics and one's humanity.

As one of the characters portrayed by John Wayne (who, BTW, paid Ted Williams a very great compliment once, he told the Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived that he, John Wayne, had merely portrayed American heroes in film - he, Ted Williams, had lived the life - another BTW, John Glenn was Ted Wiliams' wingman - that's right, Teddy Ballgame wasn't Glenn's wingman, Glenn was his wingman) said,...

"And, mister, I haven't done this much explaining in years."

I look positively sane compared to that.

EDIT:  Here's the link http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?524699-Obama-like-Carter/page8  I took out his reference to another poster for the purposes of clarity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

These words, they look to be in english but together, they don't make any sense.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Dole sent me on another stupid course.
I spent the better part of the day sitting next to what I'm sure was a transexual. The urge to just blurt it out and ask 'So you used to be/are a man right?' was large. I'm too damn curious.

QuoteWearing orange on St. Pattys day is like wearing a white hood on Martin Luther King's birthday.
It is funny and ironic. Yet when foreigners celebrate paddies they often get told to wear the colours of the Irish flag which often results in some of them wearing orange. I remember the St Pats party I went to last year had a guy wearing a Holland football shirt. Doubly ouch.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

My U-Verse fiber service has turned on some Japanese TV news channels.

Caliga

On a related note, the McDonald's near me doesn't have any Shamrock Shakes this year.  WHAT THE FRENCH TOAST IS UP WITH THAT SHIT.  That was the only thing I liked about this dumb fucking holiday. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Admiral Yi

Some Chinaman tycoon paid $1.5 million for a dog.  A Tibetan Mastiff, 11 months old, weighs 180 pounds.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2011, 11:15:42 AM

Except it isn't.  Not at all.

Yeah, it is.  You filthy ass monarchist.  Get fucking guillotined.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2011, 11:25:29 AM
Here's what I mean.

QuoteAnd in The Federalist Papers, Madison made the point that one of the hallmarks of sovereignty is the ability to choose your own officers. To the first point, see the Tenth Amendment.

The Founders were in agreement more than they differed, teramel0s. Madison ("Father of the Constitution") was not a Federalist, but wrote TFP along with Hamilton and Jay. BTW, Hamilton was the chief Federalist, which party became the Whigs, which in turn became the party of Lincoln. "Unreconstructed Hamiltonian", BTW, is far from amenable to your charming literary analysis - it happens to be (a) a political description, per the above; anyone interested in Constitutional adherence would understand it, (b) a literary allusion, see "Lazarus Long"; any real SF fan would recognize it, because if you haven't read Heinlein you're not a real SF fan, (c) a mathematical pun, which also fits into something Heinlein said about mathematics and one's humanity.

As one of the characters portrayed by John Wayne (who, BTW, paid Ted Williams a very great compliment once, he told the Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived that he, John Wayne, had merely portrayed American heroes in film - he, Ted Williams, had lived the life - another BTW, John Glenn was Ted Wiliams' wingman - that's right, Teddy Ballgame wasn't Glenn's wingman, Glenn was his wingman) said,...

"And, mister, I haven't done this much explaining in years."

I look positively sane compared to that.

Ah yes...the pseudo-intellectual arcane-reference smugnicity on EUOT makes Neil's baseless arrogance look like a third-grader boasting how his Dad could beat up your Dad.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2011, 06:33:38 PM
Some Chinaman tycoon paid $1.5 million for a dog.  A Tibetan Mastiff, 11 months old, weighs 180 pounds.
It is a very cool looking dog. He's red!
██████
██████
██████