News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The Prince and the Pauper for real.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/11/29/247807768/japanese-prince-switched-at-birth-was-raised-a-pauper
QuoteWhat happens when you find out that the life you've lived could have been better — much better? That's what a 60-year-old Japanese truck driver had to grapple with when he discovered he was switched at birth after being born to a rich family.

The man, who has chosen to remain anonymous, was raised by a single mother in a 100-square-foot apartment. A court ruled Tuesday that a social welfare organization that ran the hospital where the mix-up occurred must pay him about $317,000 for causing "mental distress by depriving him of an opportunity to gain a higher education."

The truck driver has chosen to remain anonymous. The boy who was raised in his place by the rich family became the president of a real estate company.

"I am relieved by the court's decision to acknowledge our demands," the truck driver was quoted as saying by his lawyer after the ruling.

The Asahi Shimbun reports:

"The man's biological parents sent their four sons, including the one involved in the mix-up, to private high schools and universities.

"The plaintiff landed a job at a small workshop after graduating from junior high school. He later attended industrial high school night classes and now works as a truck driver. His biological parents died before the hospital mistake was uncovered. ...

"The court said the results of a DNA test in January 2009 confirmed the mix-up 60 years ago. The ruling follows a long search by the man's real brothers who doubted their oldest brother was a blood relative based on his appearance.

"According to the ruling, the man was born in March 1953 at San-Ikukai Hospital in Tokyo's Sumida Ward. The hospital is operated by San-Ikukai, a social welfare corporation in the same ward.

"Hospital staff mistook him for the son of a couple whose real son was born 13 minutes after he was delivered.

"After the man's 'father' died in 1955, his 'mother' raised him and two real sons while on welfare."

"It's really the tale of a prince and a pauper," reporter Lucy Craft tells NPR's Ari Shapiro, guest host of All Things Considered.

At a news conference this week, the truck driver said he wished he could "turn the clock back. ... When I learned about my real parents two years ago, I thought, oh, how I wish they had raised me."

But Lucy notes that he's shown such "grace and humility" through the process that many people have expressed sympathy for him.

"He says he feels grateful to both the family that raised him and to his birth parents, and he also says he feels no enmity or resentment or bitterness toward the boy who switched places with him," Lucy says. "He said we're both victims in this. I can't be angry at him."

The story has also reignited the nature vs. nurture debate, with, as Lucy points out, many people saying that "this is proof positive that it doesn't matter what your background is, nature cannot overcome nurture, and people who are born into poverty are doomed to stay there."

:pinch:
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

That's funny, at work today I was telling my co-workers about a similar case I read about in the US.  A lady took an ancestry DNA test that told her she was not related to her (first) cousins in any way.  She thought "test must be broken" so she paid for everyone to test at 23andme, and the results were the same.  Meanwhile, first degree cousins popped up on 23andme who she had never heard of.

Long story short, it turned out her biological dad was accidentally mixed up at birth with another family's baby, and nobody from either family ever knew... both men had long since died but had families of their own.  The lady was particularly upset because she and her dad were raised as Jews, and she thought "oh no, now I'm not really a Jew!"  Her rabbi told her to chill out and stuff though, so it worked out ok in the end. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I saw another story about two native men were switched at birth in the hospital.  They both grew up on the same reserve (and were now in their 50s I think) and knew each other and their families, so there was no "prince and pauper" element, but I imagine it was still quite disturbing to realize that your parents are not your biological parents, but this other family is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

My father was adopted. One day I bought him Jacques Duval biography (car critic). Right after I hand it to him, he turns to the photo pages & points to a picture depicting a radio host from the 60s & says "That's my biological father". It was quite disturbing to see someone you look so a like & are actually blood related but have never heard of before.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

This is why you should always be present at your child's birth  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

When I did the 23 and Me thing I got a curt letter back saying that they did not appreciate jokes and all DNA sent had to be human.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2018, 02:01:12 PM
This is why you should always be present at your child's birth  :P

But having been present during the birth of my three sons, and knowing a bit about what it was like in the 50s and 60s, you can see how mix-ups might happen.  As I understand it babies were almost immediately taken from the mothers and placed in a giant nursery with many other kids.  The children themselves weren't tagged, only their cribs.  So yeah when they hand you a baby when you're leaving that you've hardly ever seen before...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

<_<

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/22/white-powder-letter-prince-harry-meghan-markle-anthrax-scare

QuoteWhite powder letter sent to Meghan Markle treated as racist hate crime

Police say they are treating as a racist hate crime a letter containing white powder sent to Meghan Markle, which sparked an anthrax scare.

The letter was received this month at St James's Palace in central London. The powder inside was found to be harmless after being examined by experts.

It is understood the package contained a racist note and was received on 12 February.

In a statement, Scotland Yard said: "Officers are also investigating an allegation of malicious communications, which relates to the same package, and it is being treated as a racist hate crime."

The force added: "The matter is being investigated by officers from the Met's counter-terrorism command."

Markle is from a mixed-race background. She is due to marry Prince Harry in May. The letter was received at the palace shortly before a package containing white powder also prompted a scare at the Palace of Westminster.

The Evening Standard newspaper said the royal couple had been informed of the suspicious package.

The police inquiry is trying to determine if the same person or people were responsible for the sending of the letter to Markle and the parcel to the Houses of Parliament.

Anthrax can be weaponised in powder form and is potentially deadly. But there have been a number of scares where harmless white powder has been sent to prominent people.

Scotland Yard said in a statement: "Police are investigating after a package containing a substance was delivered to St James's Palace on Monday 12 February.

"The substance was tested and confirmed as non-suspicious. Officers are also investigating an allegation of malicious communications, which relates to the same package. No arrests; inquiries continue."

A spokesperson for St James's Palace said they would not comment and it was a matter for the police.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on February 22, 2018, 01:43:42 PM
That's funny, at work today I was telling my co-workers about a similar case I read about in the US.  A lady took an ancestry DNA test that told her she was not related to her (first) cousins in any way.  She thought "test must be broken" so she paid for everyone to test at 23andme, and the results were the same.  Meanwhile, first degree cousins popped up on 23andme who she had never heard of.

Long story short, it turned out her biological dad was accidentally mixed up at birth with another family's baby, and nobody from either family ever knew... both men had long since died but had families of their own.  The lady was particularly upset because she and her dad were raised as Jews, and she thought "oh no, now I'm not really a Jew!"  Her rabbi told her to chill out and stuff though, so it worked out ok in the end. :)

Sounds like the sort of crazy situation an Orthodox Rabbi would love! Probably spend days looking up obscure cites about.  :lol:

(Other denominations would react just like the Rabbi in the story though.)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I thought Judaism is Matrilineal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2018, 02:21:10 PM

I was thinking that but then maybe thought concerns around being Jewish (religion) but not Jewish (ethnicity). And perhaps in some very orthodox sects must be the same?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2018, 02:21:10 PM

Depends on denomination. You are right though, in Orthodox Judaism the tribal affiliation is matrilineal, so I guess those Rabbis would only have their fun if the mom was the baby in the wrong basket.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Tribal affiliation is matrilineal but you also get something from you dad right? I mean it was really important for a long time that BOTH parents be Jewish. Actually it still is really important isn't it...ISN'T THAT RIGHT MALTHUS!!11
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Malthus disdains his Waspish roots.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2018, 03:03:06 PM
Tribal affiliation is matrilineal but you also get something from you dad right? I mean it was really important for a long time that BOTH parents be Jewish. Actually it still is really important isn't it...ISN'T THAT RIGHT MALTHUS!!11

You get your name, plus property inheritance (in the past, property was held by men) ... so dad was certainly important.  :D